Let’s talk about micro-plots

deerkiller300wsm

I have 550 acres iblease in middle TN. It was stripped of oaks about 10 years ago and now mostly with red oaks and a chestnut oaks, but very few of those. I have plenty on thick cover and soft woods like poplar and beech. Looking about putting in some micro-plots down roads and in a couple of small clearings where logging trucks used to park. What are u guys planting? I'm thinking clover this spring and then coming back in the fall with something else but just not sure what..... work will be done on a four wheeler with a disc or if a friend of mine is willing still, he will bring his kubota garden tractor over. Heading down next weeks to replenish minerals and set some more cameras and would also like to take some soil samples at that time

Mike Belt

I used to plant "hidey hole" spots in small open areas of timber. Because of the shade they never really did great like they would have in the open but I did kill some deer off of them. If you're hampered with shade you'd be better off planting in the Fall once leaf drop starts. That'll open them up to a little more light.

landman

I'd go straight clover, those loading decks have lost enough topsoil as it is, the more you work the ground the more you can lose, with clover you can overseed again in a few years

Shanman

As far as something to hunt over, Buck Forage Oats is the best I ever used. One thing several have mentioned to me though is to not have too many plots close together, bump them out and they just go to another plot, have no reason to come back. Always wanted to use clover for nutritional purposes but was not set up to maintain it the proper way, so I never did. I just used Craig Harper's formula for summer plots and then mowed 15'-20' wide shooting lanes through it in the fall, plant the oats in those lanes. Worked fantastic.

Latest posts