Leaving Treestands in the woods?

jmoreland

What do you guys do about your seats on your stands that you leave in the woods? Ive got a 2 man stand up that has a mesh sling style seat that is not removable. I really don't want to take the stand out but also don't want the material to get dry rotted. I thought about trying to wrap it in something but just not sure exactly what to do. Thanks!

MUP

I carry a padded seat in with me nowadays. My stands stay bare metal, and I carry the seat pad in with me each time. After squirrels and other varmints chewed them up for a few years, I finally learned that this is a better way. I've had the same seat for a few years now.

ImThere

How hard would it be to untie? Assuming it's the type that would

I guess if I was going to leave it I would wrap it with plastic. Like the wrap the wrap pallets with when the ship.

See you in a tree, Ricky

fairchaser

Don't leave your seat year round. Between squirrels and dry rot, it might pose a danger. The seat won't last very long either, especially a mesh nylon seat. Even if you have a expanded metal seat and carry a cushion in and out, you still have the dilemma of the stand. The tree moves and grows and can cause the strap to weaken. I recommend removing the stand altogether. Even if you leave it in the woods on the ground, remove the straps. The chain or strap will grow into the tree and the stand will start to lean forward. When you go to climb in one morning in the dark, you won't be able to see a problem until it's too late. Please be safe.

Mr.Bro

Several years with mesh nylon seats and never had a problem with rodents rats or Squirrels eating them. I do tie the lower section up when I leave or coons will use it for a perch and their pooping place.
I simply carry my seat in and out when hunting my climbers.

Matador

Take the padded seat with you if possible. On my tripod I pulled a heavy duty garbage bag down over the seat and duck taped it tight. We check stands every yr for repair or adjustment on tree.

Lost Lake

I carry in a seat cushion for use in all my hang on and ladder stands, and remove any hang ons in February. I also trim paths and shooting lanes at new stand sites during that time.

I leave my ladder stands in the woods year round, and loosen the straps just a little to account for new tree growth, and replace if needed.

JCDEERMAN

Our stands stay out. We keep the cushions hanging up on the back porch. Just take the seat out with you to wherever you're going. Ratchet straps are checked each year

MUP

Heck, my first loc-on stand that I ever put up was around 15-16 yrs ago. It's never been down, actually grown into the tree, and I hunted out of it this past season actually. I don't think it even needs straps at this point. :D

backyardtndeer

MUP":2b7a2ok3 said:
I carry a padded seat in with me nowadays. My stands stay bare metal, and I carry the seat pad in with me each time. After squirrels and other varmints chewed them up for a few years, I finally learned that this is a better way. I've had the same seat for a few years now.

Pretty well the same here.

There are some aftermarket options for sling style seats out there that could be made to fit most of those type stands.

catman529

Most of mine are just metal lol. I usually forget to bring a cushion with me but that's the way to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jmoreland

This is the same stand

Attachments

• DE24653A-3142-4EF9-81A3-F1870F42B4BE.png
    DE24653A-3142-4EF9-81A3-F1870F42B4BE.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,531

gunrunner

I have a 2 man stand as well.I took one of my wife's plastic tubs that she stores linens in and put it under the seat in the stand.I keep the padded seats,water bottles,hand warmers,and a first aid kit in it.It seals up tight so the varmints can't get in it.I hunt on private land and so far no one has bothered it.It is easier than hauling that stuff in and out.

jmoreland

The seat wasn't horrible on mine. I put pipe wrap across the back bar and it helped some. I'm thinking I'll just wrap the seat with some heavy duty trash bags or some kind of plastic. Just don't want the fabric to dry rot.

Chief44

We have several stands with the same type of sling seats that stay out year round. We tie the seat up and cover them with a small tarp and tie it down good. Seems to protect the seat pretty good. Just watch for wasp nest when you take them off before season. Another thing I've learned is to take a can of expanding foam and fill any openings that rain can get into. This will keep water from freezing inside and expanding the metal.

BULL MOOSE

I had one of those portable tripods from sportsman warehouse. It did not sit out a year and was ruined.

Water froze inside the metal and the metal split.

BULL MOOSE

I had one of those portable tripods from sportsman warehouse. It did not sit out a year and was ruined.

Water froze inside the metal and the metal split.

Latest posts