Late start.

catman529

Turkey hunting too much to bother with much other than keeping the seedlings barely alive. Going to put them in ground next couple days. Going with the no-till method again. I also ordered a cheap 12 volt electric fence charger so I can keep raccoons out of the sweet corn. Which I am debating where to put it this year since it got hit by drought last year. Probably just put it in the same spot. Who has used an electric fence for their garden? I think it's the only way I can keep stuff out of the corn.

MickThompson

I don't think you are late at all, considering the weather roller coaster we have been on. I have most of mine in and hope to get my last few rows finished this week. Seed should blow out of the ground with the heat this week.

If you are worried about deer too, there's a 2 wire system that's supposed to work great. I nearly got wiped out by coons 2 years ago but last year they never showed up. I wonder if it was because of the drought and my creek going dry? Maybe they will stay wherever they went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jcalder

A 22 works fairly well. I had rabbits destroy my broccoli last year. Had a few deer tracks after my corn blew over but as far as I could tell they didn't eat any.

catman529

Jcalder":u7w1dae5 said:
A 22 works fairly well. I had rabbits destroy my broccoli last year. Had a few deer tracks after my corn blew over but as far as I could tell they didn't eat any.

I used a havahart trap last year and got 1 coon and killed it but couldn't catch anymore after that. They come out at night so it's not practical for me to shoot them with a 22. Need 24/7 deterrent and then maybe run the trap as well. It's by a pond so there is always water and always coons

Mike Belt

I had bookoos of deer and coons in my last garden. I ended up running a series of hot wires from the ground up to about 6 feet. That worked to keep the deer from jumping over and the coons from going under.

catman529

I'm not sure if deer were much of an issue but the coons were tearing down the whole stalks.

Should I run ground rods into the soil or should I run a ground wire along at ground level and then alternate hot/ground wires going upward?

Latest posts