Late Fawn

rifle02

Yesterday I saw the smallest Fawn I've ever seen in the first week of September. Very dark red with bright distinct spots. Couldn't have been more than 22 or 24 in. at the shoulder. I think I'm pretty good at aging bucks! Aging fawns I'm not so sure about but I'm thinking 4 maybe 5 weeks.

utvolsfan77

@BSK Could all of these out-of-normal-range spotted fawns, regardless of the time of year born, be the result of doe fawns finally attaining enough body weight to trigger their hormones enough to begin their first estrous cycle and breed for the first time?

If so, that would seem to indicate that reproduction depends more upon does, including doe fawns, attaining sufficient body weight than on a time frame on a calendar as we are used to traditionally. It could also help explain the fawns (outliers) born on the tails of that bell shaped curve.

You mentioned seeing a buck chasing a doe at Easter. During the 2014 turkey season, I saw an 8-point buck, who had not shed its rack and still had hard antlers, chasing a couple of young does one morning in mid-April.

BSK

utvolsfan77,

Without question, some late fawning is due to female fawns achieving the necessary body weight to enter estrus when they were a fawn. But some individual does just have a very late personal timing (which appears to be genetic, in that it occurs in that same doe every year).

And that is how very localized breeding timings develop. Breeding timing is a bell-shaped curve, and if an earlier or a later than normal timing is advantageous, then those on the outer legs of the bell curve do better and pass their personal timing down to their offspring, which eventually skews the entire bell-curve earlier or later. And it really doesn't take long for this to occur.

DTM

Seen plenty of fawns with and without spots already. Seems like last year was unique with the rut or lack thereof and I had some sort of rut activity from end of October through the end of December.

BSK

Seeing a lot of deer looking "mangey" as they shed their summer coats right now. Fawns usually shed a little later than adults, but any time in September would be normal.

BSK

Seen plenty of fawns with and without spots already. Seems like last year was unique with the rut or lack thereof and I had some sort of rut activity from end of October through the end of December.
In the areas hit hardest by the drought last year, the rut appeared to be significantly delayed. This makes biological sense (poor health is known to delay breeding). In 24 years of running camera censuses, I've never seen the deer in my area looking worse going into winter as they did last year.

DTM

In the areas hit hardest by the drought last year, the rut appeared to be significantly delayed. This makes biological sense (poor health is known to delay breeding). In 24 years of running camera censuses, I've never seen the deer in my area looking worse going into winter as they did last year.
Agreed. And also agree that there are some rough looking deer this summer. Corn planted in the river bottoms this year so there really hasn't been a substantial amount of food available for the deer through spring. Lots of hard mast ready to drop so it should be an interesting year pending how these deer shift out of their summer patterns.

deerhunter10

Have seen several "late" fawns this year. Rut timing was very late and very inconsistent last year I assume that's the cause. Bsk will it or should it be back to close to normal this year or could it be pushed back a little due to later birth?

BSK

Have seen several "late" fawns this year. Rut timing was very late and very inconsistent last year I assume that's the cause. Bsk will it or should it be back to close to normal this year or could it be pushed back a little due to later birth?
Should be back to normal. At least that's what happened in 2008, the year after the big drought and EHD outbreak in 2007, which also delayed the rut that year significantly.

Latest posts