Last Minute Plot Question

gil1

Getting off to a late start, but we've got a neighboring farmer who is planting for us tomorrow. He'll do whatever we want. I got these plot recipes from this sight and was going to choose one and go buy and mix seed.

There's a good chance we lose the lease after this deer season. Will the all seed in the below recipes come up this fall/winter? I was thinking the clover mixes wouldn't come up until next spring. Is it worth planting them if I never see the property again after January? What comes up when? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

PER ACRE...

25 lbs wheat
25 lbs oats20 lbs winter peas (I've heard this will get mowed down before it can grow in small plots)
5 lb arrowleaf clover
5 lb dwarf essex rape

50 lbs oats or wheat
15 lb crimson clover
5 lb arrowleaf clover
5 lb dwarf essex rape
then in july,.. bush-hog and overseed in buckwheat.

Dwarf essex rape 6 lbs
Australian Winter Peas 30 lbs
Oats 30 lbs
Winter Wheat 30 lbs
Arrowleaf Clover 5 lbs
Crimson Clover15 lbs

BSK

gil1,

If you may lose your lease, go with the 1st mixture but substitute 15 lbs of crimson clover for the arrowleaf clover.

woodchuckc

Gil1,
BSK is right - and I might even go with 3 lbs rape and 3 lbs of turnips. I have noticed in my plots over the past couple of years that the deer utilize them a little differently and don't tend to eat the rape until the turnips have been grazed pretty heavily.

From what I remember about your description of your lease, I think that you can expect that whatever you plant it will get HEAVILY grazed as soon as things germinate and start growing. I would be sure that your wheat germination percentage (it should be listed on the tag attached to the bag) is really high (over 80%) or I would even go heavier with the seeding rate. That wheat will pop up first and help somewhat with keeping your peas and clover from getting hammered if it is thick enough.

Also, don't expect to find rape or arrowleaf clover (if you decide to go with that) at the Hickman Co. Coop or the feed store in Centerville. In fact, the Coop was out of turnip seed a couple of weekends ago (I bought the last 2 lbs they had) but they should have some back in stock by now.

gil1

Thanks for alll the info. Keep it coming if there's anything else I need to know.
PM box cleaned out but will be out of pocket for a couple of hours. Thanks again.

BSK

woodchuckc said:
Gil1,
BSK is right - and I might even go with 3 lbs rape and 3 lbs of turnips. I have noticed in my plots over the past couple of years that the deer utilize them a little differently and don't tend to eat the rape until the turnips have been grazed pretty heavily.

GREAT advice woodchuckc. I totally agree about the rape and turnips.

Latest posts