Ladder test

DaveB

I always build ladders. Sometimes 3 rounds per charge weight, sometimes 5. Hopefully 3 different powders.

Take most accurate result and start narrowing your charge weight. You could end up taking say 52 grains as your first step most accurate and going to 52.2 then 4, you get the picture. You can step backwards also.

Lot of folks will tell you one grain of powder doesn't make a difference. I do not agree.

When I find the most accurate load, I will build 5 or 10 of them. Objective is all rounds through single hole.

When I enter the woods my confidence level that my gun will hit what I aim at is very high.

GOODWIN

DaveB

I agree 1gr can make a big difference. Historically I've done what you are saying to do.

I'm talking about a ladder test that involves shooting say 20 different charges (same bullet, brass, primer, etc) at the same POI. Then finding certain "sweet spots" where say 3-4 different charges are grouped tightly together. This should be where your gun is the most tolerant and give you a narrower charge range of where to start. I'm relatively new to reloading so just trying to come up with the best system to minimize my component use and range time working up a load. I'm all ears.

GOODWIN

...and if you could shoot 3 shots/same charge this would give you a better idea instead of relying on one shot for accurate data

Hozzie

I do it a bit backwards than most, but it is still a type of ladder test. I am of the opinion that each gun has a best "off the lands" depth that affects groups more than powder itself. I will always load sets of rounds set at different distances off of the lands. I usually start with .02, .04, and .06 off of the lands loads all with the exact same powder and charge weight (and always trickle to get exact charges). I typically use whichever powder the books show as the most accurate in their tests if I have it. I will then shoot these loads and determine which distance off the lands my rifle likes best. There is usually one obvious group.

I will then start with ladder tests of two or three different powders and charge weights depending on the caliber. Typically, I do two, three shot groups for each powder load. One powder will then usually show as the best option for that particular bullet. From there you can do a second test with just the one powder if you really want to get exact. For Hunting purposes, I am usually good after my three shot group testing.

Deer Assassin

nope

3 shots less than .7 at good speed will go with me to the woods all day long

i start with working to max vel (unless it is for a youth or woman) no pressure signs call it good

.010 usually always give me the accuracy i need

i try not to overthink it

mr.big

doing the ladder test will usually find the best powder charge without shooting a lot of bullets ,,the farther you can do the test the better the data will be,,when you get to a charge that the elevation stays level when the charge is .5-.7 grs up or down you are at a good starting place,,then fine tune from there,

ladder I did with 140 AMax and VVN 150

I went back and loaded a few rounds at 36.25 and they were very accurate but werent fast enough to suit me and the next node up was over pressure,,

Openlake

Goodwin, you are well read and proceeding down the right path. The whole idea of the ladder is to find the sweet spot of grouping for multiple powder charges. That gets you in the park to start playing with seating depth, minor charge variations, etc... Mr. Big has it down pat. Diving into the fine tuning before you get to the sweet zone takes up too much time.

smalljawbasser

One of the guys over on 6mmbr.com forums has found a reliable way to find optimum charge weight at 100y. It works pretty good, the results are just not as obvious as a 300+ yard ladder. But for people like me that don't have a suitable range the outcome is the same as shooting a ladder.

AllOutdoors

Deer Assassin":2n4xofnk said:
nope

3 shots less than .7 at good speed will go with me to the woods all day long

i start with working to max vel (unless it is for a youth or woman) no pressure signs call it good

i try not to overthink it

^^^^This
Sent from this smart thingamajig using tapatalk.

Latest posts