Lab question

ETDDT

I've had several labs but the one I have now ( just turned 1 yr. ) has done something I have never seen. A week ago my son shot down a mallard and sent our lab after it. He exploded into the water went straight to it and brought it straight back. Since then-- he will not pick one up. He explodes in the water goes to it or finds it but won't pick it up. The last time I sent him he pushed the duck back to the bank. Anyone ever seen this and what causes the problem, and how to fix it. Any ideas.

Scud

May have got stuck in the mouth with a broken wing bone on the retrieve. Go back to practice with a dummy and then add a wing to it for a few days or weeks then try a dead bird again.

rukiddin

JBell":13e3ftyo said:
Force fetch

^^^^what he said. It's one of the most valuable, under appreciated things you can do while training and can also be the most nerve wrecking roughest part of training for a dog. Many trainers will tell you that you can read a lot into a dogs future and "grit" when it comes to the time to force fetch. I feel very confident in my ability to train a dog with the exception of force fetching. I leave the that part to the pros.

casjoker

Agreed with the previous two posts. If he hasn't been force fetched you should seriously consider it. I know it scares a lot of people but FF really isn't that hard. Find a video from a quality trainer, Lardy, Hillman, Voigt and follow it to the letter. Keep the sessions short and always finish with success. Also, join your local/regional retriever club. They are generally a great resource for any question you may have.

Latest posts