ky elk hunt

4onaside

Some of the locals are complaining about the numbers of elk and the nuisance that they have become. The bull season was the first week in October, and I believe that the cow season, where the largest number of permits exist, starts this saturday. If you beat the long lottery odds and get drawn,IMO it is the best opportunity to kill a free ranging elk in North America. In my experience last year, anyone who does his homework and devotes enough time in the field will kill an elk.

BigRod

What dose it cost a mna to get in on that? I heard that the only way to get a tag is if you have money. I have been seeing a big cow on my way to work every morning for the ast two weeks

4onaside

I suppose that it depends on what you call "having money". If you can raise $10, you can apply(application fee). If you get drawn as a non-resident( assume that you are a Kentucky non-resident), you'll need to come up with some cash for the tag(this season, $500 more-or-less, which is consistent with what it costs a non-resident to hunt anywhere.

mike243

big rod,bet you live or drive down laurel rd :) my son lives there & seen 1 the other day after a buddy of his that works for comcast told him about it ,mike243

Timberdoodle

I put in this last year but was not lucky. I do not think that you could have any better chance, money wise, to hunt elk in the US. You just have to be one of the lucky winners!

I plan to put in for it every year that they let me @ $10 a chance!!

megalomaniac

cecil30-30 said:
I applied last week.I can't wait until they draw it may 21.400 tags this year.our chances are getting better.

be realistic... I think I tallied up the odds of drawing a bull tag as a nonresident, and it's somewhere around 1/1000. The worst deal is that you can't apply for a bull tag, but a general tag only. And then if you draw, they tell you what you get to kill (bull vs cow).

don't get me wrong, I think its wonderful to have an elk draw east of the MS... but the odds of a NR actually drawing are just about the worst in the country. (yet, I still donate my 10 bucks every year hoping to hit the jackpot!)

4onaside

cecil30-30 said:
I'd be just as satisfied with a cow tag as a bull tag.
And well you should, because an elk hunt is an elk hunt. I drew a cow tag for Dec 06 and had a blast. I've killed bulls before in Colorado, and this hunt was every bit as much fun.

cecil30-30

4onaside said:
cecil30-30 said:
And well you should, because an elk hunt is an elk hunt. I drew a cow tag for Dec 06 and had a blast. I've killed bulls before in Colorado, and this hunt was every bit as much fun.
Was the cow tag for Ky?If so,Did you get one?Have any pics of it?

4onaside

cecil30-30 said:
4onaside said:
cecil30-30 said:
Was the cow tag for Ky?If so,Did you get one?Have any pics of it?
Yes, in Kentucky. Yes, I got one, as did everyone who hunted where I did, and yes, I'm looking at a framed picture on my desk, of the elk and two of the guys who helped me, along with the shooter of course. lol However, while they are digital pictures, I never posted them on here, because I have never learned to "send" them.

Latest posts