Korean Bulgogi

Hogbear

My uncle was in the Army brought home a Korean wife in the 70's and she taught my mom and aunts how to make several Korean dishes. They divorced and she moved back to Korea but my mom still makes venison Bulgogi all the time. Lots of recipes out there but this is how she made it.

Cut venison into thin strips and put in a pan with:
1 cup of sugar
soy sauce (I never measure but prob about 4-5 tbsp)
1 garlic bulb
1 onion
red and black pepper to taste

cook this mess on a medium heat stirring often until the meat gets tender and turns a dark chocolate brown color, serve over white rice.
I like lots of red pepper, clears the sinuses. My sister adds sliced carrots and mushrooms when she makes it.

Hogbear

Talked to mom today and she says about a half cup of low sodium soy sauce and keep the skillet covered to make the meat more tender and avoid getting too thick/syrupy. She adds green peppers sometimes too.

medwc

That's about how I do mine but I add broccoli at the end. I find my recipe off the web last year. Really thin backstrap is killer this way!!!

WTM

never heard of quite that much sugar in bagogi, but i like my beef real sweet. will give it a try.

on the same note, if you are ever in the Army and stationed in Korea, dont let your buddies talk you into eating Kagogi before you know what it is!!!!

medwc

WTM said:
never heard of quite that much sugar in bagogi, but i like my beef real sweet. will give it a try.

on the same note, if you are ever in the Army and stationed in Korea, dont let your buddies talk you into eating Kagogi before you know what it is!!!!
lol, I was thinking he has the soy sauce and sugar amounts backwards or likes it sweet. I use 1 cup soy 1/4 cup sugar for a 2 lb mix.

WTM

let me tell you, this is the stuff. i made this yesterday before i took my son back to knoxville.

except i only used 2/3 cup sugar, added another bulb of garlic, and added 1 tsp of rice vinegar, added black pepper and red pepper to taste, and added about 2 tbl sp of peanut oil, and a little pinapple juice.

i used 4 bottom round steaks that i cut about 3/4-1 inch thick. i sliced the steaks about 1/8" thick across the grain. mixed up all in a zip lock bag and marinated overnight.

drained meat in a colander and give a little shake to clean off onions and garlic from the meat. stir fry in a wok on high with peanut oil until done, about 3 min a batch(about 10 pieces at a time). served with sticky rice.

was the most tender, flavorful deer meat i ever tasted. well, 2nd most to my steak au poivre.

Nimrod777

Cool! I just ventured into a Korean restaurant today with my daughter on a lunch "adventure" (first time to try Korean food). Ordered the Bulgogi, and it was great. Will try bulgoging some venison asap!

Latest posts