Kansas or Nebraska

casjoker

I have the week of Thanksgiving off and am considering a road trip to either state. Does anyone have any experience in either one? I have researched the DU property in Nebraska and there seems to be a lot of pubic access in both states that's why they are being considered. I have a good dog, 26' camper and a kayak to hunt from. I know weather plays a big factor and wondering if either location could possibly be frozen out during that time of year. From some of the charts, I have found it looks like mid to late November is prime time for mallards. Kansas appears to have a similar time frame but their data wasn't as clear cut as Nebraska's.

scn

You may want to make some calls (as I'm sure you will) to check on water conditions. Some of the states out that way were on the dry side this year. The little ponds and potholes that are normally pretty productive may be limited.

Freezing out is pretty weather controlled. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a lot of water is pretty locked up this week in some of those states. It is supposed to get down to 11 deg. in Denver late this week. Temps were in the minus 11 range near W. Yellowstone in Montana yesterday.

casjoker

I have a few numbers for the town offices in the area and the wildlife office as well. I also monitor a message board for hunting in that area. I am just going to monitor things and hope to get a read in conditions that way. AR and TN have just sucked for me the last couple of years so I am going to try something different.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
Good luck! I'm trying to talk my buddies into doing something along those lines next year. Let me know how it goes.

Displaced_Vol

Definitely interested in doing something like this. I've heard good things about both states and can't offer any insight to which one would make for a better trip. Don't know if you do any other bird hunting but that might be a factor. Get bird counts from both states and maybe talk to some biologists and you could have a heck of a day shooting ducks in the morning and flushing roosters or quail in the afternoon.

Latest posts