Juvy hunt

cbhunter

Why don't you tell Mr Eli how you are against him using decoys?
While I agreed with a post or two in your drama thread, your being downright ridiculous coming on this young mans post and spewing your bs. This ain't the place so go back and argue on your thread.
Eli, you do you and enjoy your journey my friend.

Eli103

I get why he's against it I really do. But you have to think YOU are much older and wiser than me. I've been in the woods my entire life just like you. I'm young and dumb trying to get better every hunt I'm on. IMO I think there should be a age limit on using decoys. You find like me should use them because like I said I'm not that smart and still trying to figure my birds out. Older (21-50) should not use them. Now say there just now getting into turkeys in that age tough titty said the kitty. But you have to be determined. My first bird was off no decoys ask my pops. And even if you're in that age range it will make u better hunter starting off because if you get something handed to you it's just not fair. Thanks

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
I get why he's against it I really do. But you have to think YOU are much older and wiser than me. I've been in the woods my entire life just like you. I'm young and dumb trying to get better every hunt I'm on. IMO I think there should be a age limit on using decoys. You find like me should use them because like I said I'm not that smart and still trying to figure my birds out. Older (21-50) should not use them. Now say there just now getting into turkeys in that age tough titty said the kitty. But you have to be determined. My first bird was off no decoys ask my pops. And even if you're in that age range it will make u better hunter starting off because if you get something handed to you it's just not fair. Thanks
You go back out this morning?

13pt

I'm not a turkey hunter, but I do let certain juveniles hunt on my farm with an adult. Yesterday a 16 year old tagged his first turkey just as the first storm was rolling in...9.5" beard and 1.25" Spurs...he was pumped! His dad and the guide were all in the blind and had an incredible experience. They were using a decoy, though the guide said this bird didn't want to have anything to do with the decoy and it almost spooked him. However, I seen him video hunts here when the decoy made all the difference. My point is, if it's legal to use why all the fuss, regardless of someone's age? Duck hunters live and die by decoys. Small game hunters use highly trained dogs to find their birds, rabbits, etc. Deer hunters use salt licks, food plots, a plethora of lures (excluding baiting), etc...and its all legal. Geez, just let each hunter decide their own legal method of chasing their particular game and just support the fact they're out there enjoying nature and not into drugs and alcohol and all that goes with it. If it's a legal method, and a hunter decides to use it, more power to them...regardless of age! It DOES NOT make them any less of a hunter than the one who chooses not to use it....IMHO. Besides, you're hunting these animals in their own back yards where they live 24/7, so if you think it offers you an advantage then I'm saying you definitely need it!! Good luck in your pursuit, and don't give a second thought to what another hunter thinks you should or shouldn't be doing if it works for you and it's legal.

Southern Sportsman

I can tell you unequivocally that I've got the back of any and every 14 year old kid that's trying to kill a turkey this weekend. Especially one like this who is legitimately trying to learn the ropes, engaging in discussions on a public forum, and doing a lot of the work on his own. I'm sure he has read enough debate in the last few days to know my stance on decoys. But, as I've said more than once, I do not "bash" individuals using them. Especially not a kid. I give my opinions on what should be done with decoys as policy level debate. Not something I'm going to drag into a 14 year old young man's post.

Even if decoys were restricted, I am absolutely certain they would be allowed during the juvenile weekend. I very much hope Eli kills one today, and I don't care if he does it with a decoy. He's obviously a sharp kid with a genuine interest in turkeys. He can make up his own mind about decoys. If he want's my opinion about the matter he can ask me for it. Otherwise, that discussion has no business in this thread.

Good luck Eli. I wish you were closer. I'd love to hunt with you sometime. That's a standing offer if you ever make your way west. And I'd bet one of these mean old traditional turkey hunters in East TN would be happy to point you in the right direction or talk strategy sometime.

Southern Sportsman

I'm not a turkey hunter, but I do let certain juveniles hunt on my farm with an adult. Yesterday a 16 year old tagged his first turkey just as the first storm was rolling in...9.5" beard and 1.25" Spurs...he was pumped! His dad and the guide were all in the blind and had an incredible experience. They were using a decoy, though the guide said this bird didn't want to have anything to do with the decoy and it almost spooked him. However, I seen him video hunts here when the decoy made all the difference. My point is, if it's legal to use why all the fuss, regardless of someone's age? Duck hunters live and die by decoys. Small game hunters use highly trained dogs to find their birds, rabbits, etc. Deer hunters use salt licks, food plots, a plethora of lures (excluding baiting), etc...and its all legal. Geez, just let each hunter decide their own legal method of chasing their particular game and just support the fact they're out there enjoying nature and not into drugs and alcohol and all that goes with it. If it's a legal method, and a hunter decides to use it, more power to them...regardless of age! It DOES NOT make them any less of a hunter than the one who chooses not to use it....IMHO. Besides, you're hunting these animals in their own back yards where they live 24/7, so if you think it offers you an advantage then I'm saying you definitely need it!! Good luck in your pursuit, and don't give a second thought to what another hunter thinks you should or shouldn't be doing if it works for you and it's legal.

There are several other threads from the last few days where you can read your fill on this subject. But this is not the thread for this debate. Literally no one has questioned Eli's choice to use a decoy. We're just rooting for a dead turkey pic soon.

TN Larry

Good luck Eli, hope you get one. They were out yesterday afternoon after the rain and out this morning after the rain. My son killed one yesterday evening but had to leave to go to church this morning. Will be back after them again in a bit.

Hang in there.

Eli103

I can tell you unequivocally that I've got the back of any and every 14 year old kid that's trying to kill a turkey this weekend. Especially one like this who is legitimately trying to learn the ropes, engaging in discussions on a public forum, and doing a lot of the work on his own. I'm sure he has read enough debate in the last few days to know my stance on decoys. But, as I've said more than once, I do not "bash" individuals using them. Especially not a kid. I give my opinions on what should be done with decoys as policy level debate. Not something I'm going to drag into a 14 year old young man's post.

Even if decoys were restricted, I am absolutely certain they would be allowed during the juvenile weekend. I very much hope Eli kills one today, and I don't care if he does it with a decoy. He's obviously a sharp kid with a genuine interest in turkeys. He can make up his own mind about decoys. If he want's my opinion about the matter he can ask me for it. Otherwise, that discussion has no business in this thread.

Good luck Eli. I wish you were closer. I'd love to hunt with you sometime. That's a standing offer if you ever make your way west. And I'd bet one of these mean old traditional turkey hunters in East TN would be happy to point you in the right direction or talk strategy sometime.
I would love to talk. You seem like u know what ur doing I hardly ever go out west but I'm sure pops would allow it. Just have to bring it up with him. I would be up for killing a bird out west. If your really genuine about pm my dad and make sure it's ok with him.

Latest posts