Juvenile harvest

Southern Sportsman

yup, will be a record number of hunters out in the woods chasing desperate birds, many of which don't have hens which will result in a record number of kills for opening weekend. Gonna be a bloodbath.
Plus the green-up making it easier to move, and what appears to have been a great hatch in 2022 across much of the state (lots of 2yr olds) — I won't be surprised if we set an opening weekend record as well.

Last edited:

SJS

Seeing all age group Tom's around my place. Was cool to watch 4 toms following 4 hens in the pasture. All of a sudden one hen broke off and walked past the house, across the road to our hay field all by herself. I assume heading to make a nest.

Here's a pic of the four toms in the pasture. All have about 6-inch beards, but one was sporting a double beard. 😎

Attachments

• IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 6

megalomaniac

Assuming the slaughter materialized today from the number of shots I heard. Interestingly tho... very few shots in the first hour. But from 10 till 1p... holy cow.

Folks are hunting harder too. Used to be you didn't hear many shots after noon. I heard shots as late as 4p.

Birds were certainly suicidal as their hens left to lay mid morning.

Bgoodman30

Assuming the slaughter materialized today from the number of shots I heard. Interestingly tho... very few shots in the first hour. But from 10 till 1p... holy cow.

Folks are hunting harder too. Used to be you didn't hear many shots after noon. I heard shots as late as 4p.

Birds were certainly suicidal as their hens left to lay mid morning.

6400 shot yesterday over 7k last season

redblood

thats great. But im not expecting a big kill this weekend. We fished instead and drove 30 miles theough the country to the lake. Didnt see a truck parked along the rd anywhere, including the public land along the lake. Fished till noon, never heard a shot despite hearing turkeys everywhere . I could be wrong tho.

Buddy hunted about 5 miles from my farm. Said he heard one shot. Another friend down the rd said he didnt hear a single shot

Latest posts