Just Remembered This

bowriter

R.I.P.
On the side of the highway, between Jonesville and Ferriday was joint called the Shack or something like that. They got their deep water craws from Black River and a plate piled high was like $2.50. It came with corn on the cob, onions and cornbread.

I started going in their with my uncles when I was maybe 11 or 12. First time I went in there, the lady who owned place brought me a childs portion. After she saw me peel a few, she brought me the rest of them.

She would bring out two bowls of dip, one pink and one almost brown. Then she would ask you in French which one you wanted. If you didn't answer in French, you got the pink. About the second year I started going in their, she would bring my uncles and I a cold Jax beer. Never asked, just started doing it. Nobody said a word and the price never changed. We would eat there every time we went to the swamp camp and usually on the way out we drop off a mess of squirrels or ducks.

Place burned down back in the '60's. I'll bet the smell of it burning had people drooling ten miles away.

green doe

bowriter said:
Place burned down back in the '60's. I'll bet the smell of it burning had people drooling ten miles away.
Funny you should say that. A historic pizza place burned down up here last week or so. People loved the place. I thought the pizza was okay but the building was really cool. Very old and very cool. The day it burned down, I said, "Yeah, I bet it smelled good over there." No one thought I was funny.

green doe

Are you talking about crayfish, bowriter? I ain't never ett one. A couple of places around here fly them in every day. My dad and I used to fish for them in the river but I assume that was so he could use them for bait. What he was fishing for, I don't know.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Crayfish, crawfish, mudbug all the same. Cook them just like shrimp with one difference. When they turn red, they are done, just like shrimp. Remove them from the water and rain, then place in a container of some sort with alide you seal. Season them right then, while they are still steaming and seal them for about 20 minutes. Let the seasoning be absorbed.

The just eat tghem like shrimp. Peel the tail and suck the head.
They look like this.
BTW this Wade Bourne, host of Ducks Unlimited ay a little deal I did for ESPN. He is hamming it up a it. But he did about 10 pounds. :)
Forum-Food.jpg

bowriter

R.I.P.
Obviously, my right hand is not working too well today. Just bear with the typos.

There are three kinds of crawfish (crayfish) that I know of. There is a saltwater variety found mostly off the African coast, a deep water variety found in deeper water inland (best in my opinion) and the ones found everywhere else. They are all good to eat. In many parts of LA, the rice fields provide two crops, carwfish and rice. The better restrants serve nothing but the deep water craws. The best I have ever eaten came out of Black River and Pearl River.

But we use to catch some out the Atachafalya that were great. Course, we were half smashed when we ate them. There is a crawfish festival in Breaux Bridge, LA that is worth twice the price of admission. Eat all day, dance all night, then eat again.

bowriter

R.I.P.
About a week ago, Tuckers Sausage plant burned down here. I live three miles away and I could smell it. Had to fry me a couple eggs.

bowriter

R.I.P.
I was raised around Pineville and spent most of my time near Catahoula Lake and in the Marksville area. I spent most summers around Grand Isle. I still got a water mark on my legs.

I went to school in Pineville but we hunted the Saline and Cocodrie swamp. I worked on the boats out of Grand Isle during the summers. This was back before the marsh took over. I worked for Deshon Gremillion.

rutnstrut2

Alright you guys got me very hunggry! I have been to new orleans three times in my life and it is never enuff I love crawfish never have been able to find any place around here with them and my wife thinks I am crazy! But man I love it down there Oh yhea one more thing GO SAINTS! I have been a big fan my whole life and this is my year to finally say told you they would get there!

bowriter

R.I.P.
Rut you can get crawfish in mosty of the Walmart super sotres and some of the big Krogers but they are frozen and pretty pricey. I get mine from Lester Paul in Tioga LA. Still pricey but they are alive. If you get less than 50#, you can't afford them. The commercial craws are just not as good as the deep water craws you get fresh.

Latest posts