Just ordered my first bow!!

UTGrad

After tons of internet research and shooting a total of 5 different bows at BPS, I made my decision. BPS Nashville had a Parker Trailblazer in 60-70#. I thought I would give it a try even though the draw was higher than what I had been pulling on all the other bows (50#). I was amazed how smooth the cam was on the Trailblazer. I was able to draw the 60# every time. I know that I will still need to build up my strength to be able to draw 60# while sitting in a chair, but I was able to draw it standing up without "cheating". IBO speed is listed at 302 and AMO is 230. ATA is 32.25", brace height 7.5" and weight is 3.5 lb bare. Retails for $419.00.

This is where it gets interesting. Against advice here I took a risk and ordered the bow from Cabelas. They are having a clearance on 2008 bows and they were selling the bow without any accessories for $299.89! Since I planned on changing some accessories on the Trailblazer package, I thought why not just build it from the ground up. I called Chad that was working with me at the BPS Archery Shop and told him that I made a business decision and ordered the bow online, but would still need his help to build it up and tune it. I told Chad where I got it and he told me that Cabelas was in financial trouble and was under cutting BPS by $100.00 on some items. I explained that business is business but I would still be coming in to get all other accessories. Well, I think he is a good guy and he will still help me build the bow. Anyways, I am pumped up about adding Limbsavers, string leeches, Hostage rest, Tru Glo Extreme sight, peep sight, sling, etc. etc.

Please add any items I need to put on this new bow.

TheAirMan

UTGrad said:
he told me that Cabelas was in financial trouble and was under cutting BPS by $100.00 on some items.

I got to call bs on that one. Its sounds like you have listed about everything you need. Congrats on the new bow! Good Luck!

richmanbarbeque

Cabelas is not in trouble. He said that because he was upset that he spent time with you and you went elsewhere to buy it. I would be upset as well. He WILL NOtT give you as good of service from here on out. Did you ask him if he would match their price? rookie move on your part. Like cheating on your girl friend. Ha!

Radar

richmanbarbeque said:
Cabelas is not in trouble. He said that because he was upset that he spent time with you and you went elsewhere to buy it. I would be upset as well. He WILL NOtT give you as good of service from here on out. Did you ask him if he would match their price? rookie move on your part. Like cheating on your girl friend. Ha!

Against the advise of many members of this forum . These types of "business decisions" are what drives many good proshops out of business . Customers go into a proshop ,and the bow tech measures the person's draw length and sets up a few bows for testing . After the customer chooses the bow , they find it online a little cheaper . Don't expect great service at BPS . You will pay more in the long run.
I'm happy you got a bow , but not the method you went about it .Probably not a good move in the long run .

UTGrad

Radar said:
richmanbarbeque said:

Against the advise of many members of this forum . These types of "business decisions" are what drives many good proshops out of business . Customers go into a proshop ,and the bow tech measures the person's draw length and sets up a few bows for testing . After the customer chooses the bow , they find it online a little cheaper . Don't expect great service at BPS . You will pay more in the long run.
I'm happy you got a bow , but not the method you went about it .Probably not a good move in the long run .

This is like a person working for a company for years and then dropping the bomb on them that they found another job. When asked why, they tell them that it is because of money. The employer gives a similar speech I received here.

With things being tight for everyone, a wife that I have to negotiate with which she deserves to know what I am buying and if I can show her that I saved $100.00 on the bow it will put her at ease, I had to move. Like I said business is business and I am thankful for this website and everyone that helps out on here, but I took a risk here. I feel that if I purchase all of my accessories from the BPS shop which will total to about $350.00, I will have at least met them in the middle. The guy at BPS even told me that the charge was not that much for a tune up if I bought my bow elsewhere. I mean, BPS doesn't sell Matthews, but if someone came in and bought $350 of accessories, then they can't complain about that.

I'm in sales for a major trucking company here in Nashville and I understand when customers have to go with a carrier that has beaten us pretty bad on price. It is my understanding that BPS is not matching the Cabelas clearance prices.

Anyways, I did what I did so I could maximize my potential on accessories, since I haven't even bought a tree stand yet.

JeepKuntry

I gotta agree with the others. Because you bought the bow elsewhere, your not gonna get as good of service. Even if you buy the accessories. I'm not familiar with BPS but some places get a kickback for selling bows, guns, larger dollar amounts. With all that being said, hopefully the bow is a good match/starter bow for you.

Buzzard Breath

TheAirMan said:
UTGrad said:
he told me that Cabelas was in financial trouble and was under cutting BPS by $100.00 on some items.

I got to call bs on that one. Its sounds like you have listed about everything you need. Congrats on the new bow! Good Luck!
Ditto. Cabelas is a publicly traded company. Here's their financials for the past several years. This stuff is available on-line for anyone interested in investing. Doesn't look like they're in trouble to me.
http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/in ... symbol=CAB

UTGrad

richmanbarbeque said:
I guess I am different. Being in sales myself I do not understand your logic. I believe in loyalty.

The best customers are the loyal customers. I have customers that I will do anything for, but with the current situation, I starting to see people shopping, even those loyal customers. If BPS offers the Parker at $499 with the accessories Parker put on there, but Cabelas offers the bow for $299 bare, that is a large difference. I can put on a much higher quality sight, STS, rest, etc, etc and meet the BPS $499 with higher quality components. Please understand where I am coming from. If I gave someone a rate quote of $500.00 and they can get the same service at $300.00, I don't expect them to use my service. Instead, it is my responsibility to get with my people to see what I can do to match that rate. If I can't match the rate, fine but I wouldn't screw them the next week when they bought from me. I would hope they would understand and when I come in to buy $150.00 of components, they would take my business and help out all they could to get me to come back, even if I don't buy EVERYTHING from them.

$50.00 is one thing, but $200.00 is not negotiable, it is what it is.