Just curious....................

FULLDRAWXX75

This question is for the pistol shooters that use open sights, when you pull up and aim your pistol, do you close one eye?

If so, which one and is it the same one as your dominant hand or the opposite? (saying rt. handed shooter closes the left eye, left handed shooter closes rt. eye, or visa versa?)

FDXX75

ratsnakeboogy

I shoot everything with both eyes open, but concentration is on right eye. I am right handed and right eye dominant. I'm having issues with both of my sons though, they are both right handed but also both LEFT eye dominant.

FULLDRAWXX75

ratsnakeboogy said:
I shoot everything with both eyes open, but concentration is on right eye. I am right handed and right eye dominant. I'm having issues with both of my sons though, they are both right handed but also both LEFT eye dominant.

Ok Rat,

There lies "my" problem so to speak..........I am rt. handed, shoot all my rifles(scoped or open sights) through my rt. eye. But, when it comes to shooting any of my handguns, I use my left eye. It happens like second nature and I never even thought about it until last night I was cleaning my .45 auto and after assembly I pulled up and it was like a switch went off..............."your looking through your left eye". I tried aiming with my rt. eye and I couldn't hold steady to save my life, not to mention I struggled to see the sights.

I have problems with my rt. eye to start with, scar tissue and floaters that distract/blur my vision.

I am still curious to see who does what....................

Thanks for the input

FDXX75

ratsnakeboogy

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
ratsnakeboogy said:

Ok Rat,

There lies "my" problem so to speak..........I am rt. handed, shoot all my rifles(scoped or open sights) through my rt. eye. But, when it comes to shooting any of my handguns, I use my left eye. It happens like second nature and I never even thought about it until last night I was cleaning my .45 auto and after assembly I pulled up and it was like a switch went off..............."your looking through your left eye". I tried aiming with my rt. eye and I couldn't hold steady to save my life, not to mention I struggled to see the sights.

I have problems with my rt. eye to start with, scar tissue and floaters that distract/blur my vision.

Thanks for the input

FDXX75

FD, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you hit what you aim at, I don't see it being an issue.

fastbs

i've been trying to shoot a handgun with both eys open but just cant seem to focus enough on my right eye. Shooting with a scope i don't haave any problems and shoot more accurate with both eyes open.

FULLDRAWXX75

ratsnakeboogy said:
FULLDRAWXX75 said:
ratsnakeboogy said:

Ok Rat,

Thanks for the input

FDXX75

FD, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you hit what you aim at, I don't see it being an issue.

It's too late to be changing anything now, I was just curious if others experience the same thing or similar.

Actually, when I drop in position, my chin and cheek fall right into place at my rt. shoulder/armpit area and locks me in good, sort of like your nock point when shooting a bow. I can close both eyes, pull up and open my left eye and only have to make a slight adjustment to my sight plane to be on target. It works for me............

FDXX75

44fanatic

R.I.P.
right hand, righy eye dominant...

With open sights and scope on the pistols I am working on shooting with both eyes open. When using a scoped rifle, I will acquire the target with both eyes open and then close the left, trying to break this habit with the pistols.

stik

ratsnakeboogy said:
they are both right handed but also both LEFT eye dominant.

so are both of mine. they simply shoot lefthanded. problem solved.

i shoot everything but a scoped rifle with both eyes open.

ratsnakeboogy

stik said:
ratsnakeboogy said:

Tried that, they don't have the coordination shooting lefty. Maybe with some training they could do it. I just hate that I have a gun collection to leave to them, and they won't be able to use many of them if they shoot left-handed.

southernhunter

one day when i was a child dad took us out to shoot guns .it was one of the first times i really was able to shoot alone, i am right handed so dad ask me on the way home why i was trying to shoot left handed .i said i dont know .it was much later in life when i stared bow hunting i learned i am left eye dominant{it was amazing to me to learn why i had always shot lefty with out knowing a reason every one thought i was wacked in the head lol} .though i can shoot right handed ,i am much better with my left eye with my right eye almost or all the way closed .have have tryed to keep my right eye open but its hard for me why i am not sure..as far as guns go every gun i own is a right handed , i am able to shoot them just fine

stik

ratsnakeboogy said:
stik said:
ratsnakeboogy said:

Tried that, they don't have the coordination shooting lefty. Maybe with some training they could do it. I just hate that I have a gun collection to leave to them, and they won't be able to use many of them if they shoot left-handed.

it takes some work but will pay off in the long run. everybody in the family but BOWd shoots lefthanded and until recently, i had never owned a lefthanded rifle. just because they shoot lefty don't mean they have to have a lefthanded gun.

Latest posts