Jet Motor

JeepKuntry

I will probably change my mind once I get some quotes, but looking for input on jet motors. I currently have a 15ft jon boat with a 20hp Mercury. It's rated to 25 and honestly I think that may still be under powered. I was thinking about going to a 16ft with 40hp jet motor for the Clinch River. I was out Saturday and tons of logs a lot shallower than I remember. This is mainly where I will be using the boat. What are the con's I should be aware of.

bobbuck

Cons
Loud(2 strokes anyway), they handle a lot different than a prop motor, if there is a lot of leaves on water you will have to clean the foot a lot, it will make you want to take your boat places you should not go just to see if you can, which leads to beating the boat up so get a well built welded boat

Pro
they are cool! A lot of fun to take into places others can only dream of, don't have to worry about destroying your prop

Buy as big a motor as you can afford

woodyard

The only comments I can make is over in Ark on the White river you will see way more props than jets. From personal experience the jets can suck up grass which can shut it down and they can also suck up pea gravel which can cause damage. Of course props get chunks knocked out and chewed up by the gravel. Most of the dealers over there I ever talked with recommend a prop over the jet, because of the pea gravel thing. You will also loose a percentage of the hp in just running the jet drive as compared to a prop.

The plus of the jet is you can run shallower water over the prop. A lot make a lot more noise and you can be heard before you are seen if you like that. Been a while since I checked prices but the jets were quite a few dollars higher for the same hp.

choupique

woodyard":g1zg9g9s said:
The only comments I can make is over in Ark on the White river you will see way more props than jets.

The White is a totally different river than the Clinch, you don't get those sharp transverse rock outcrops like you see on the Clinch. They'll tear a lower unit up. Don't see many folks running Supremes or Shawnees on the Clinch, for the same reason.

The pea gravel issue is minor; the occasional small stuff that fits through the grate just passes through and the only damage is extra wear on your impeller blades. File em up every so often and you're good. The leaf issue is a problem for about two weeks every fall, and on a small jet like what you're thinking about, it's easy enough to raise and flush them off the intake. Sure, you lose horsepower for the same size powerhead, and they steer sort of like a car on ice. You can also fish in water that most folks can't get to -- that makes it worth it for me.

JeepKuntry

choupique":210070c3 said:
woodyard":210070c3 said:
The only comments I can make is over in Ark on the White river you will see way more props than jets.

The White is a totally different river than the Clinch, you don't get those sharp transverse rock outcrops like you see on the Clinch. They'll tear a lower unit up. Don't see many folks running Supremes or Shawnees on the Clinch, for the same reason.

The pea gravel issue is minor; the occasional small stuff that fits through the grate just passes through and the only damage is extra wear on your impeller blades. File em up every so often and you're good. The leaf issue is a problem for about two weeks every fall, and on a small jet like what you're thinking about, it's easy enough to raise and flush them off the intake. Sure, you lose horsepower for the same size powerhead, and they steer sort of like a car on ice. You can also fish in water that most folks can't get to -- that makes it worth it for me.

Before the water made it down, I was afraid to run my motor in quite a few places. The plus to my jon boat is it's 15ft, with a 55 ft.lb Minnkota. It's been years since I've been that far up, I went past the creek and there were quite a few longs that weren't far underwater. I don't remember that from when I use to fish the area. I use to take my NorrisCraft 1580 to Hinge Creek and never noticed structure like I did this past weekend.

BlackEagle1

I'll bite.....

If you run shallow rocky rivers There is no replacement for a jet. I have owned 4-5 of various sizes. I now run a 17 foot boat with a 70 hp motor, and it needs a 90 honestly. My best setup ever was a 16-50 with a 90 and stick steering. If your getting a 16 footer I would get a 60/40 jet min.

There is a learning curve to driving one, and they take a bit of courage to see their full potential.

nwsg76

I have had/run several jets for past 25 years. If you river needs a jet....you will love it. If you want to fish on big water....you will hate it.
Jets are made to slide over the water....not cut thru water.
Set up is crtitical. You Must Have correCT Transom Height For Your motor. If not it will affect preformance.
1/2 inch wrong will be a big notice.
There is only about 2 companies that make the jet foot. I have always used the one from California http://outboardjets.com/contact-us/
You should be able to order directly the jet foot for your setup. Cheaper than dealer.
I have had 14ft with 48 in bottom wide with 20hp jet...best river setup. It will go where it will not float. 4 inches.but no more than 2 people.
I have a 1648 now with 40/30. Great middle of road setup for 3 people. Also have a 1860 tunnel with 90/65. Take the whole family rig.

They key is weight balance and setup.moving fuel tank and battery make difference.
Anything bigger than 16 ft needs a 30 hp.
I have had 2 different 2strokes and one 4 stroke. I like the the less noise from 4 stroke. But you have to adjust setup due to increased weight in back of boat.
Find someone to help you with setup or feel free to ask me anytime.

JeepKuntry

Thanks for the replies. I boat time can be in a bigger body of water for bluegill season. But outside of that, I mainly fish the river as there is less traffic. My trollign battery is mounted towards the front. The only additional weight at the back is the fuel cell. We will see what prices get thrown my way. I've asked for figures on just swapping motors, new boat setup, and found a price from the retailer on the jet kit. Wish you lived closer. I'd like to go out on one to see what they are made of.

MickThompson

JeepKuntry":3cxidfpt said:
Thanks for the replies. I boat time can be in a bigger body of water for bluegill season. But outside of that, I mainly fish the river as there is less traffic. My trollign battery is mounted towards the front. The only additional weight at the back is the fuel cell. We will see what prices get thrown my way. I've asked for figures on just swapping motors, new boat setup, and found a price from the retailer on the jet kit. Wish you lived closer. I'd like to go out on one to see what they are made of.

They are all over the French Broad and Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckriver

I've got a 1652 with a 60/40 4 stroke jet. I love the boat and it does all I want to. It's a must in the duck during the summer

AllOutdoors

Outboardjets.com is full of good information. They will be the manufacturer of the pump you get.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

waterman

had 1 that I ran on the caney. like they say it will go where it wont float. only thing is it must be planed out. tends to piss off the fly fishermen standing in shallow water when you pass them wide open. expect some crap from them when you float back by

SES

Biggest pro for me on the Clinch is fishing above the weir dam. Biggest con is that you will end up going where you shouldn't go and get stuck or break something. It helps if you know someone that's good at welding aluminum!!

Luckybuck16

I just bought a new 2020 90/65 mercury 4 stroke jet for my 1756 Roughneck and it rain me 9500 + tax .. roughly 10,200. Runs very well on my boat with hydraulic jack plate.. I've got a 100 hp 1990 model jet that needs a power head (2200 bucks) I'd sale the jet foot dirt cheap if u know anybody looking . it's a 2 stoke Fits 75-125 hp motors

turk870

I know this is an old post but since it's been resurrected.

Duckriver-You ever run that boat up the Buffalo?

We are tossing around the idea of getting a boat, she would prefer to be able to use it on both the Buffalo and the duck, Been looking at the 15' Havoc River rat (Tiller), 16' Blazer, and 16' Southfork, with 60/40 jet.

duckriver

turk870":20uht94p said:
I know this is an old post but since it's been resurrected.

Duckriver-You ever run that boat up the Buffalo?

We are tossing around the idea of getting a boat, she would prefer to be able to use it on both the Buffalo and the duck, Been looking at the 15' Havoc River rat (Tiller), 16' Blazer, and 16' Southfork, with 60/40 jet.

No I haven't. But ive had people in mine that have fished the bufflo and said it would be ok but you wouldn't want any bigger

nwsg76

You can run a longer and wider boat on buffalo but it's not easy. The best buffalo rig is something near a 14-15 ft long and 48 wide bottom with 20 jet. By the time you add 2ft length for motor....a 16 ft is getting big to maneuver on the buffalo. You can have too much hp on buffalo.

Latest posts