Ithaca 37

348Winchester

Anyone else have one?

Many years ago I bought a used but like new 37 20 gauge for a song. I fell in love. Then bought a 12 gauge 26 inch, a very early 12 gauge 30 inch solid rib ( later stolen from me by a pill head), a Deer Slayer 2 12 gauge rifled, and a very earl 16 gauge Deerslayer.

After 25 years gunsmithing it hit me that while I have repaired most other makes of pump guns, I've never had to repair a 37. Ol' John Browning achieved as close to perfection as humanly possible with this one!

mike52

Have a 37 in 12 gauge ( that I bought in the 70's ) . Since it is lightweight it does have some recoil. The problem I had with it ( and a friend ) had is when you shuck spent shell to new one it would sometimes go off

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I have a 20 ga that has a 28" vent rib and a slug barrel also. I'm got it for my birthday back in 1976

348Winchester

It
Have a 37 in 12 gauge ( that I bought in the 70's ) . Since it is lightweight it does have some recoil. The problem I had with it ( and a friend ) had is when you shuck spent shell to new one it would sometimes go off
's designed to do that. If you have the trigger depressed it will discharge upon closing the bolt. It's called a slam fire. Remington model 17, Savage 220 and Winchester 1897 all do the same as well as some pump 22 rifles.

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
I have one that is shot at least once a month. It has a rough life as a truck gun and coyote killer. It does have a kick to it. Never had trouble with it, but it will sometimes eject the shell and not cycle one into the chamber. Just pump it again and it is good to go.

Mine is old also. I don't know when it was made, but I have owned it for at least 30 years and it had a good patina on it when I bought it at a gun auction.

348Winchester

I have one that is shot at least once a month. It has a rough life as a truck gun and coyote killer. It does have a kick to it. Never had trouble with it, but it will sometimes eject the shell and not cycle one into the chamber. Just pump it again and it is good to go.

Mine is old also. I don't know when it was made, but I have owned it for at least 30 years and it had a good patina on it when I bought it at a gun auction.
It could be that you are not working the action with enough authority.

rifle02

Early models had no disconnector and would fire if you held the trigger down while pumping the action. That might be it!

Huntaholic

It wont do that unless your booger picker is still holding the trigger down. 3 guns that I know of will "slam fire" if you hold the trigger: winchester model 97, winchester model 12, and ithaca model 37.

Latest posts