It took 5 days ….

JJ3

I watched this buck come out just before dark on 3 out of 4 of my last sits but always 350 - 450 yards and never got within range that I was comfortable taking the shot. And at that range and low light I never really saw how big he was. He was content to feed and ignored the does that were also out until it got dark.

Tuesday afternoon was nice — overcast, low wind, so I decided to give him another try on a solo hunt. And he came out early right at sunset, 350 yards and I thought he's early enough I might have a chance. He started feeding but I got his attention a few times with some grunts. After about 10 minutes, he picked his head up and started walking my way and a bit off to the side and I got excited! I let him get to just inside 200 yards and stopped him broadside with a grunt. Line up the crosshairs, squeezed the trigger ….. and I missed! But he just stood there looking at me as I racked another bullet and settled my shot down and pulled the trigger. Didn't miss that time! And there was no ground shrinkage with this one.

Attachments

• IMG_9045.jpeg
    IMG_9045.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 583
  • 2023-11-14 Johnny Buck-00956.jpeg
    2023-11-14 Johnny Buck-00956.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 583

Latest posts