Issues with primers

Hunter 257W

7mminatree":39ysxq1u said:
Since, nobody mentioned it, I would check your firing pin protrusion. I had a Chiappa Armi 45-70 sharps that had a burr in the firing pin hole. Not saying that's it but something you can check.

I had that issue with a NEF Handi Rifle. It was a 50 cal muzzle loader. Oddly when new it fired every time for the 1st dozen or so shots then started misfiring more often than not. My cousin had an identical rifle and I started looking at them and you could see with your eye that the firing pin protrusion was different. After measuring with a caliper, his gun had around .035 inch firing pin protrusion while mine was something like .017 inch if I remember correctly. I took it apart and did some careful grinding until I got mine over .030 and never have had a problem with a misfire again.

This and the problems I've had with my Marlin 336 make me appreciate all my bolt actions more as I've never had a misfire with one of them.

TiminTN

DaveB":nur14au5 said:
If the primers were adulterated by dirty hands, they wouldn't fire at all.

Probably you had them seated a bit too deep. Lay a straight edge across the base of the cartridge. Primer should almost touch the straight edge.

I looked at a picture of the rifle, it looks very cool.

I`m sorry but this is exactly what is wrong. Primers MUST be seated all the way till they bottom out.

DaveB

Tim-
Agreed, primers are seated to the bottom of the pocket.

Since this is not resolved You think the rifle needs something beyond cleaning? Or could the brass be defective or the random pocket reamed out using non-standard tools?

dirtyhands

I've done some more research and I found a gun blast video on you tube of this same gun. In the video he stated that he had some failures to fire on the first strike with some factory ammo. I've also researched how to adjust the spring tension on the hammer itself. This weekend I'll take a close look at the firing pin to make sure there doesn't appear to be anything funny going on with it. I'll make up some more rounds head to the range and slowly turn up the tension on the spring. Hopefully this will fix my issue. I can't take it into the woods if I'm not sure it will go bang or not and the season will be here before you know it. Thanks for all the input fellas.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Mark those cases that fail to fire before loading again, it's possible you could have a few out of spec cases, especially if they were loaded from new brass to start with(as opposed to reloading once fired shells). Just a thought that no one else has presented.

Latest posts