Is Your County This Bad?

TheLBLman

In my county you hardly ever see poult's with hens!
In my county, nesting success seems to have steadily improved (relative to the number of hens),
but young poults have suffered progressively greater predation, mainly from the Cooper's hawk and owls. As some poults survive a few weeks, the larger hawks kick in hunting them, while the little Cooper's hawk re-focuses on small birds and small rodents.

Although we may not think of crows as a predatory raptor, I believe crows are breaking up some nests as well, and may be killing some just hatched chicks.

Both nesting success and poult survival varies greatly from one year to the next.

Wrangler95

In my county, nesting success seems to have steadily improved (relative to the number of hens),
but young poults have suffered progressively greater predation, mainly from the Cooper's hawk and owls. As some poults survive a few weeks, the larger hawks kick in hunting them, while the little Cooper's hawk re-focuses on small birds and small rodents.

Although we may not think of crows as a predatory raptor, I believe crows are breaking up some nests as well, and may be killing some just hatched chicks.

Both nesting success and poult survival varies greatly from one year to the next.

I agree on the hawks and owls being a problem with the poults as well as racoon and possum eating the hens eggs!I live on a farm and hardly ever see a wild turkey anymore on my land!!I ride around all the other creeks and usually never see a turkey!!

Latest posts