Is this the same buck and just on the decline?

Ryan

Looks like the same buck to me just out of his prime now. My dad choked on him last year and never seen him again, need to take him out this year. What yall think on his age and score?
SaltblockAug2010166.jpg
[/img]
MDGC0339.jpg

BSK

May very well be the same buck. The second year's pictures are definitely of a buck a year older. If someone forced me to make a decision, I would say it's the same buck.

Don't assume bucks always increase in score with age. That isn't always true. In fact, I'm amazed at how often I've seen bucks peak in score at 4 1/2, then decline at 5 1/2 (although adding mass).

But definitely no reason to "take him out." You just never know. Perhaps that buck spent precious resources fighting off an illness, and that's why his rack declined. He may jump back up nexxt year. But honestly, he loooks like a fine trophy this year!

Ryan

The more I look I believe this is the same deer: four main points besides the brow tine on right side, three on his left side, and left brow is slightly taller.

TheLBLman

If it were the same buck, I think there should still be a little "junk" on his right G-2.

Do agree with BSK this "may" be the same buck, but that lack of "junk" on the right G-2 of the 2011 photo makes me think it's likely a different buck. Would have a greater expectation of more "junk", even if shorter tines this year. Be nice to have more pics and year-to-year at same angle, preferably all after velvet shedding.

BSK

The browtines are the giveaway. Way too matched for it not to be the same buck. Either that or they are biological identical twins.

Latest posts