Is it me or is this a joke

JW01

So the us forest service is partnered with the nwtf and they always decide to do burns during peak turkey nesting season. And on top of that it's full of bear which eats no telling how many nest. But lord help if we put a scratch on a bear. The Turkey doesn't stand a chance out there. Nwtf will not get another dime from me.

JJBraves

I'm never giving them any money again. They've proven to me time after time that they either don't have any clue as to what they are doing or just make decisions based solely on what put smore money in their pockets. It's to the point in the southeast especially that the turkeys only hope is by us land owners doing our part with predation control and habitat improvements. It would suck for us hunters, but I would be all for a one bird limit to start with and possibly close the season for a year or two to help rebuild these populations. Its alarming now looking at turkey populations on my property as well as public spots that I always used to kill birds at. I know that wont happen though because that would go back to these organizations not padding their pockets.

woodsman04

Growing season burns are more beneficial to turkeys than dormant season. It promotes the right type of habitat for nesting and brooding. Even if a few nest are lost, the long term is better. But they should only be done on small scale as to not damage too many nest.

That being said, I'm anti-NWTF now. Unless they change they won't get a penny from me. They are all about money and looking good. The wild Turkey is an after thought for them now. I think they should get some credit for the restoration. But they are also one of the reasons for decline by promoting un ethical tactics and not helping anything now that they are falling again.

PalsPal

Growing season burns are more beneficial to turkeys than dormant season. It promotes the right type of habitat for nesting and brooding. Even if a few nest are lost, the long term is better. But they should only be done on small scale as to not damage too many nest.

Good info. This was a small scall burn, so maybe TWRA did know what they were doing.

Thanks for the clarification.

cowhunter71

Was told by Forest Service today that they will burn large areas starting tomorrow. Have seen 3 different nests with anywhere from 3 to 7 eggs this past week. Talk about heads up their a##. Now they said the same thing last season around this time, but ended up postponing. We shall see.

megalomaniac

I'm not sure about burns in TN, but burning here in south MS just after Greenup (early April) produces WAY better new growth attracting bugs that hits right when the hatched poults need it the most. Burns in late Feb just aren't as good. And 2y after the burn there has been an explosion of adult toms. Yes, nests do get burned, but a decent number of those hens renest, and the ones outside the burn area quickly move in.

The key is to burn 100 to 500ac at a time in patchwork rotation, not 2000 to 5000 ac at a time.

Latest posts