is it legal to use centerfire ?

Locksley

utfan1 said:
any clue why centerfire is not legal year round?

It is not legal during Deer hunting season because they want to make sure you are not tempted to shoot a deer while varmint hunting . LOL

redblood

Locksley said:
utfan1 said:

It is not legal during Deer hunting season because they want to make sure you are not tempted to shoot a deer while varmint hunting . LOL

That is a crazy law that needs to be fixed. Our dang deer season last 4 months and we can kill every deer we see every day, pretty much for the duration. Do they really think we will be tempted to shoot one more?

Grainger

scn said:
utfan1 said:
is centerfire ammo legal for coyotes?

It is most of the year. Check the Manner and Means Proclamation (10-05)on the TWRA website for the times it is illegal for coyotes.

You can shoot a 'yote during deer season with a centerfire, provided you have your Big Game. It's only if you have just a Small Game Lisc, and you're varmint hunting during Deer Season that you are limited to rimfire and shotgun. Correct?

Otherwise, if no other season is open, say Spring Turkey/Squirrel, than you can hunt yotes with a centerfire and only a Small Game Lisc. Is this correct?

DIRTTRAX

Locksley said:
utfan1 said:

It is to legal. How ever It is not legal on wma after big game season.

Grainger

DIRTTRAX said:
Locksley said:
utfan1 said:

I will beg to differ. Straight from a meeting with 3 TWRA Wildlife Officers last night. Right now, 'till the end of Feb, WMA's are under Small Game regs--rimfire/shotgun/MZ/bow. Most WMA's are open to Coyote hunting after Small Game ends. They are open under centerfire rules untill the start of Spring Turkey--basically, the month of March(watch the Juvi hunt 3/26-7). At the start of Spring Turkey, if you want to hunt 'yotes on a WMA, you have to use the same weapons as is legal for Turkey--shotgun and Bow. Spring Turkey ends, and Spring Squirrel starts the very next day, so at that point if you want to hunt 'yotes on a WMA it's rimfire/shotgun/MZ/Bow untill June 12. Starting June 13, it's back to centerfire again untill the start of Fall Squirrel.

Check the individual WMA you want to hunt. As an example, Chuck Swan is closed from the start of March 'till Fall Squirrel, EXCEPT during Spring Turkey/Squirrel. If you want to hunt yotes at Chuck Swan and equip yourself like a Turkey/Squirrel hunter you could hunt dogs there and then. Of course during Spring Turkey at Chuck Swan, you'll have to get drawn first.

jakeway

This question should have been posted on the TWRA forum. If you post it here you get opinions and interpretations, but not necessarily the correct answer.

DIRTTRAX

Koyodiak said:
DIRTTRAX said:
Locksley said:
utfan1 said:

I will beg to differ. Straight from a meeting with 3 TWRA Wildlife Officers last night. Right now, 'till the end of Feb, WMA's are under Small Game regs--rimfire/shotgun/MZ/bow. Most WMA's are open to Coyote hunting after Small Game ends. They are open under centerfire rules untill the start of Spring Turkey--basically, the month of March(watch the Juvi hunt 3/26-7). At the start of Spring Turkey, if you want to hunt 'yotes on a WMA, you have to use the same weapons as is legal for Turkey--shotgun and Bow. Spring Turkey ends, and Spring Squirrel starts the very next day, so at that point if you want to hunt 'yotes on a WMA it's rimfire/shotgun/MZ/Bow untill June 12. Starting June 13, it's back to centerfire again untill the start of Fall Squirrel.

Check the individual WMA you want to hunt. As an example, Chuck Swan is closed from the start of March 'till Fall Squirrel, EXCEPT during Spring Turkey/Squirrel. If you want to hunt yotes at Chuck Swan and equip yourself like a Turkey/Squirrel hunter you could hunt dogs there and then. Of course during Spring Turkey at Chuck Swan, you'll have to get drawn first.

What you posted has nothing to do with what I posted locksley said centerfires were illegal during deer season, and there not unless its bow or muzzy, wich maybe what he ment and just didnt specify. As far as the wma thats what i was told dont know as i dont hunt one so doesnt matter. Sorry though if i was incorrect about the wma.

Grainger

DIRTTRAX said:
Koyodiak said:
DIRTTRAX said:
Locksley said:
utfan1 said:

What you posted has nothing to do with what I posted locksley said centerfires were illegal during deer season, and there not unless its bow or muzzy, wich maybe what he ment and just didnt specify. As far as the wma thats what i was told dont know as i dont hunt one so doesnt matter. Sorry though if i was incorrect about the wma.

The regs for 'yote hunting are so complicated, the 3 gentlemen from TWRA we met with Mon PM were quick to admit that. That's why they agreed to met with us, to help answer our questions about predator hunting, so we could know we were doing the right thing.

I'm not as fortunate as you, I only have a tiny piece of private property to hunt, so I have to rely on public hunting areas. Therefore I've tried hard to learn the regs to the letter--to do right, but also to be able to maximize my hunting experiences.

What I learned Mon PM opens up a lot more time in the woods for me; and more opportunities to use the more ethical centerfire. I just hate using a .22 mag on yotes, I don't think it's powerful enough for an ethical kill.

DIRTTRAX

Koyodiak said:
DIRTTRAX said:
Koyodiak said:
DIRTTRAX said:
Locksley said:
utfan1 said:

The regs for 'yote hunting are so complicated, the 3 gentlemen from TWRA we met with Mon PM were quick to admit that. That's why they agreed to met with us, to help answer our questions about predator hunting, so we could know we were doing the right thing.

I'm not as fortunate as you, I only have a tiny piece of private property to hunt, so I have to rely on public hunting areas. Therefore I've tried hard to learn the regs to the letter--to do right, but also to be able to maximize my hunting experiences.

What I learned Mon PM opens up a lot more time in the woods for me; and more opportunities to use the more ethical centerfire. I just hate using a .22 mag on yotes, I don't think it's powerful enough for an ethical kill.

Just get out and ask, you will prob wind up with more land than you can hunt. If you can find any cattle farms and get permission you will be set.

Grainger

DIRTTRAX said:
Koyodiak said:
DIRTTRAX said:
Koyodiak said:
DIRTTRAX said:
Locksley said:
utfan1 said:

Just get out and ask, you will prob wind up with more land than you can hunt. If you can find any cattle farms and get permission you will be set.

Thanks DT, that's what I need to do. I'm a city guy that has moved to the country, I just haven't made the connections yet.

stik

Koyodiak said:

i think your officers are mistaken. the way i read this is you CANNOT use centerfires on WMA's outside of deer seasons.

Small game hunting with centerfire rifles and shotguns:
Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are prohibited for huntingall small game species on wildlife management areas with only a few exceptions:Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legal for hunting beaver,bobcat,foxes,coyotes,wild hogs,groundhogs,and crows, ONLY DURING DEER SEASON and the hunter must be a licensed legal deer hunter. Coyotes may be taken on any hunt but only with the firearm or archery equipment that is legal for that hunt.

Koyodiak said:
jakeway said:
This question should have been posted on the TWRA forum. If you post it here you get opinions and interpretations, but not necessarily the correct answer.
Not trying to start anything, but do you see any problems with the information the 3 TWRA Wildlife Officers gave me last night?

i see some problems with that information.

AlanP

I hate to do this, because I will be gone for the next four days, and if this stirs up a mess of questions, I may not be able to answer them for a while.

I understand there is confusion here. And, I'm sure the blame for that confusion rests squarely on us. Part of the confusion stems from a misprint in the hunting guide.

Stik is correct. The hunting guide clearly says:

"Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legal for hunting beaver,bobcat,foxes,coyotes,wild hogs,groundhogs,and crows, ONLY DURING DEER SEASON..."

However, that paragraph was changed in the Proclamation (which is the actual regulation by law) to say:

"Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legal for hunting beaver, bobcat, foxes, coyotes, groundhogs, and crows, except during deer and bear seasons and on wild hog hunts with dogs permitted. Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition prohibited for hunting all small game species on wildlife management areas (except on wildlife management areas open with statewide seasons or as noted in the wildlife management area proclamation or as specified in Section 1.(2) and (5) above)"

In other words... If a Wildlife Management Area is listed as "open with statewide seasons and bag limits" for small game, coyotes may be taken with centerfire rifles. The only restriction is when it is archery only deer season, you have to use a bow to kill a coyote (otherwise people would be out there with a 30-06 claiming to be coyote hunting), and during muzzleloader/archery deer season you can only kill coyotes with a muzzleloader or a bow (for the same reason).

To reinforce the legality of shooting a coyote on a WMA in July with a .223 (as long as it is open to statewide seasons and bag limits), the following is in Proclamation 10-07:

"On WMAs open with statewide seasons, the season dates, bag limits, weapon types, and ammunition types that pertain to the county where the WMA is located apply to that WMA. Special regulations listed specifically for those WMAs still apply."

In other words, if coyote season is open on your friend's farm in the same county, it is open on the WMA.

WARNING: You need to check to make sure the WMA is open to statewide seasons and bag limits, for small game hunting, before taking a .223 to the WMA in July. If there is an exception which prevents it, you cannot. For instance, in Region I...

Barkley WMA says Big Game and Small Game are open with statewide seasons except as noted. Then it notes some exceptions (closed during late duck season in sub-impoundments, etc). Cypress Pond Refuge says Big Game and Small Game are open with statewide, except as noted, and then says, "All seasons closed during refuge closure date." That means you can hunt coyotes with a .223 in the summer, but you can't hunt them from November 15 through the last day of February, because that is the "refuge closure dates." (I know we close the refuges between Nov.15-end of Feb., but I can't find the closure dates listed anywhere in the hunting guide. The dates are listed in the Proclamation, but not in the guide. That's another mistake we need to fix.)

I know this stuff can get to be a confusing mess. If in doubt, call the manager of the specific WMA. I assure you, the intention in Region I is to allow coyote hunting just like the open county hunts, on as many WMAs as possible, and if a Region I WMA lists small game as "open with statewide seasons and bag limits," we mean it. Unless there is a SPECIFICALLY LISTED EXCEPTION. I will not speak for the other Regions.

JAB528

Here's the thing, do you really think that if a guy shoots a deer with a 30.06 during archery season that he is going to check it? Do you think telling me I can't coyote hunt with my .223 during archery is gonna make that guy any more honest? Guys who break rules are going to break rules no matter what those rules are. The only ones that are harmed by these rules are ethical and licensed hunters and the coyotes that slowly bleed to death in the brush or starve to death because they've been shot by an inferior round.

Legalize the small rounds (centerfire less than .243.) for predator hunting year-round.

DIRTTRAX

So according to this you can hunt white oak right now? correct?

134-WHITE OAK
Hardin County � 7,000 acres
southeast of Mill edgevill e, off of Hwy. 69
Pete Creech (731) 687-3444 � SG , WF, BG
Big Game Small Game Closed to fall turkey.
Same as statewide seasons, except as noted. Small game hunting closed
during the Young Sportsman deer hunt.
Dove - Sep. 1, 4, 6 through the remainder of the statewide dove
season.
Deer - Same as statewide seasons except archery equipment-only
after Dec. 5; archers must meet legal blaze orange requirements during
statewide muzzleloader and gun seasons. Closed to Jan. Young Sportsman
hunt.
Quail - Dec. 6�Jan. 2.
Waterfowl - Same as statewide seasons, except as noted. Waterfowl
hunting closes at 3:00 p.m. CST during the late duck season(s) and
all types of water traffic prohibited after 5:00 p.m. CST. No waterfowl
hunters permitted on the area or access areas before 4:00 a.m. opening
day, and from 5:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. the following days during the late
duck season. All water traffic prohibited five days before each opening
day of statewide duck season. Temporary blinds only. No decoys, boats,
blinds, and blind materials may be left overnight.

Grainger

Beyond confused.

I guess TWRA really doesn't want us to hunt Coyotes, otherwise, the regs would be much easier to understand. I wonder how many times I've violated the regs?

Two of the WO's I talked with Mon PM are out of Roane Co, one from Rhea Co.

Very frustrating, as I've spent North of $1500 setting up to hunt 'yotes.