Is Canadian geese good?

Westtnduckhtr

When I hunted them and ducks for that matter in North Dakota you could not give them away, with the locals it was all about deer. Hunting in Nebraska similar taste buds, deer and beef. All the waterfowl was turned into jerky, which was pretty good.
Having hunted all over the country it seems to be what you have or is common place, you want something else.

bluewinged46er

I killed this pair and cooked them up same night. I thought they were tasty. I took care to get every shred of fat off the breasts first, then brined. Seemed like any other duck to me (except woodies).

IMG_1097.jpg

Spurhunter

I killed this pair and cooked them up same night. I thought they were tasty. I took care to get every shred of fat off the breasts first, then brined. Seemed like any other duck to me (except woodies).
I've always heard mergansers and shovelers taste terrible, but 2 of the guys I hunt with say they can't tell a noticeable difference in any of the ducks. Maybe it's the way they cook them. I don't really care for any of them.

mike243

I have only killed a couple geese over the years and my mom cooked the first 1, ruined is only way I can describe it, somebody told her to soak in vinegar 🤢 . I injected the next 1 with butter and it was ok, baked perfectly and made a orange marmalade sauce that turned out bitter, bird was ok but after all the trouble to killem I will try other methods if I get some more.

uncle_loue

geese are one of the few birds ill fully pluck. its a tedious affair but worth it to me as I will smoke the whole bird until breast meat is medium. as it smokes i keep a drip pan directly beneath to catch rendered fat dripping off. when the bird is done strain the fat through cheese cloth and itll keep in the fridge a long time. this fat is like liquid gold. it elevates any baking recipe in place of oil/shortening and will make the best fried egg you've ever eaten.

ill eat the breasts and usually reserve the legs/wings/remaining carcass for soup or in place of chicken in chicken n dumplins recipe.

MidTennFisher

I think it's fantastic, especially late season geese that have a nice layer of fat on the breast meat.

Also, don't overlook the leg/thigh meat. They can be thrown into a crockpot and shred up to make whatever you want with it.

I've smoked the breasts, also made smoked pastrami with them. When cooking them in a pan I like to cook them not a degree past medium, slice very thin, then make a chimichurri to put over those slices. It's excellent.

MidTennFisher

Here's how the locals in North Dakota told us how to cook them:

Soak the breast in brine water for several hours in the fridge. Take the breast and put it on a pine board and liberally season with salt and pepper. Take some cooking string and wrap around the board/meat and use your favorite cooking oil to soak the string. Bake at low heat for like two hours. When done, take and cut the string and throw that away along with the meat and eat the pine board.

They don't eat waterfowl in North Dakota if they don't HAVE to. At least the ones I've known don't.
That just means you talked to people in North Dakota that like to kill geese for Instagram pictures and that's it.

Usually those types use the, "they taste nasty" excuse because they don't want to dirty up their fingernails by cleaning an animal.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
That just means you talked to people in North Dakota that like to kill geese for Instagram pictures and that's it.

Usually those types use the, "they taste nasty" excuse because they don't want to dirty up their fingernails by cleaning an animal.
Um, no. These are the people that have lived their whole lives there, friends and family, and farmed that ground since the settlement days. They are not exactly the type that mind getting their fingernails dirty by cleaning an animal.

Wooden Arrow

i love geese, and nearly everything else waterfowl. have yet to try coot, lol. i've had folks tell me it tastes like liver, but i've had folks say the same of venison. i've tried liver (once) before, and it tastes NOTHING like venison or roast goose...😖

Latest posts