Interesting shift in MS management techniques

megalomaniac

MS implemented the 4pt rule back in 1995 or so (IIRC), and since then, most MS biologists feel comfortable stating that the concept of high grading is real and detrimental to antler quality over the long run.

The past couple of years, however, many DMAP (MS biologist managed private properties) programs have been instructed by their biologists to shoot ALL spikes in addition to their standard club restrictions (usually around 16" inside spread or 18" beam length or some variation thereof).

Seems to me such a blanket method of dealing with the 'inferior' deer in the yearling age class would eventually hurt the hunting in the future, especially on properties well under carrying capacity and on properties with skewed sex ratios towards does.

Wouldn't a better approach be to target only those spikes believed to be 2.5 or older?

BSK

I know nothing about instructions to shoot spikes.

But I do know--to combat the high-grading problem--MS is working on revamping the buck antler restrictions in the best habitat areas to better protect all yearlings instead of just the low-end yearlings.

I haven't talked to Larry Castle recently on how that legislation is going, but I know they are working on it.

And remember, biologists did NOT recommend or create the "4 total points" rule the state now has. It was imposed upon them by their legislature.

deerchaser007

4 pt rule is to extreme anywere in the south in my opinion. 3 pt rule is much better ,. and would help with the problem. BUT,.. the TX spread restriction ain't bad either.

I for sure would not recommend killing all spikes anywere in the SE. You would probably kill 50 percent or more of your yearling class.

BSK

deerchaser007 said:
4 pt rule is to extreme anywere in the south in my opinion. 3 pt rule is much better ,. and would help with the problem. BUT,.. the TX spread restriction ain't bad either.

Just remember, MS "4 point rule" is TOTAL points, so a fork-horn is legal for harvest.

In the southern swampy poor soil areas of the state, this rule has actually been quite affective, as few yearling bucks produce fork-horn antlers. But in the Delta agricultural region, many yearlings produce fork-horn or better antlers hence the yearling buck population is getting severely high-graded, resulting in much lower antler scores of older bucks.

deerchaser007

BSK said:
deerchaser007 said:

Just remember, MS "4 point rule" is TOTAL points, so a fork-horn is legal for harvest.

In the southern swampy poor soil areas of the state, this rule has actually been quite affective, as few yearling bucks produce fork-horn antlers. But in the Delta agricultural region, many yearlings produce fork-horn or better antlers hence the yearling buck population is getting severely high-graded, resulting in much lower antler scores of older bucks.

I did not know that!! Thought it was 4 pt 1 side. Sorry about that.
I can see how the restrictions are having different results within different regions now. 3 point 1 side might be a common ground for the 2 different regions. Protecting more yearlings from each region. If that is their goal of course!!

megalomaniac

Yes, 4 total points...

Not many yearlings are protected, and the occasional older spike is protected... in fact, I passed up a 3.5 yr old spike a couple of years ago. He was a 220 lb toad!!! Ran every other buck out of the field he was in!

It's so hard to make any kind of AR which will both benefit the herd and be simple enough for the average hunter to follow. IMO, for AR's to work, it's got to be done in conjunction with age restrictions... something which the average hunter has no desire to follow.

BSK

megalomaniac said:
It's so hard to make any kind of AR which will both benefit the herd and be simple enough for the average hunter to follow. IMO, for AR's to work, it's got to be done in conjunction with age restrictions... something which the average hunter has no desire to follow.

I couldn't agree more megalomaniac. And that's why I'm not a big fan of antler restrictions (ARs). Now I do agree with those who argue that antler restrictions "do something" where over-harvest of young bucks is a serious problem, and that they are at least something simple and finite that the average hunter can follow. Look at the benefit of ARs in PA. They have definitely helped. With a million hunters pursuing around a million deer, there simply weren't enough bucks to go around, and even a 1 buck limit was producing severe over-harvest of the young buck population. ARs were absolutely biologically necessary in that situation.

But for ARs to work well, they must be developed through critical study of the target buck populations. And biologically, the critical factor(s) is/are not what percent of the yearling buck population the AR would protect, but what segment of the yearling buck population the AR would allow to be harvested as well as what segment of the older buck population the AR would protect. You don't want an AR that allows a large percentage of your best yearlings to be harvested and/or a significant percentage of your smallest antlered older bucks to be protected. That could lead to the high-grading problem MS is experiencing in their best habitat areas. ARs must also be evaluated unique habitat region by unique habitat region. PA has different ARs for their best habitat versus their poorer habitat because yearling buck antler production is different in those areas, just as MS experiences, or as many state experience.

bigorangmd

Unfortunately I think it will always be hard for a government agency to be effective mandating anything across an entire area. Unfortunately it comes down to personal responsibility. Each individual hunter carries an awsome responsibility. I constantly have to be aware of what my buddies are doing in respect to their harvest. Since they don't "own" the bucks they care less than I do about herd health. It's easy to think that not seeing a mature buck is due to weather, luck, moon phase, etc. and not that they've been taken away. It is so often underestimated how quickly "Trigger-finger management" can alter a herds make up. Just a couple of hunters taking just one immature buck off a property can have long lasting effects! I think the only way to have true effective herd management is aging on the hoof. I don't think it's above the average hunter, just more work than the average hunter cares to do.

deerchaser007

BSK said:
deerchaser007 said:

So your saying in ag regions the yearling harvest is much higher because the restriction ,. correct??BUT,.. what yearlings are not killed are the ones with the worst genetic potential,.. the spikes.

I personally like AR's. I'm not saying they are appropriate for every area,.. but are a valuable management tool in other areas when combined with adequate doe harvest. I'm sure if MS set different goals for each region they could come up with a compromise for every area. I feel GA has proven this with different techniques for their state.

If a state agency see's a need to protect more yearling bucks in certain areas , units with AR's can improve the herd for that area. BUT,.. i agree ,.. it must be done county specific or unit specific. Using TN as a example and if there were a need to protect more yearling bucks ,.. what result would come from a 3 pt 1 side AR from nashville eastbound? Its been said that this area has the most hunters and poorest soils. Would a AR help this area? I can see how the same AR would hurt from nashville westward with fewer hunters and better soils and higher deer densities per square mile. I also see a need for alittle different management technique for the two areas also.

BSK

deerchaser007 said:
BSK said:

So your saying in ag regions the yearling harvest is much higher because the restriction ,. correct??BUT,.. what yearlings are not killed are the ones with the worst genetic potential,.. the spikes.

In the South, where breeding dates are often more strung out, yearling buck antler development is driven by three primary factors: birth date, nutrition, and genetic potential. A young buck must reach a specific age/developmental stage before his first set of antlers can begin growing. Buck fawns born earliest and in the best habitat areas can begin growing their antlers earlier in the summer and have the opportunity to grow much larger antlers than buck fawns born late (often several months later). Late born bucks can take several years to "catch up" in antler production to the earlier born bucks the same year, often not catching up until 3 1/2 of 4 1/2 years of age. In addition, due to the cyclic natural of deer growth (produce most of their growth during the spring and summer months) "missed opportunity" for summer growth their first year of life may be "missed" forever, producing permanent stunting in boh body and antler development.

The problem with MS's 4-total-points Antler Restriction (AR) is that in the best habitat areas, early born bucks regularly produce 4-total-point antlers and are being killed, while the AR only protects the late-born and possibly even poor genetic potential yearlings and even 2 1/2 year-old bucks.

So the MS ARs, in the better habitat areas, allow early-born bucks and/or those with great genetic potential to be harvested, while late-born, potentially permanently stunted, and/or the worst genetic antler potential yearlings to be protected. These bottom-end antlered yearlings then make up the majority of the future older buck population. This is leading to amazingly severe high-grading. Since the implementation of the AR, in the best habitat areas, older bucks are now producing astonishingly lower antler growth than they did before the antler restrictions were enacted. 2 � year old bucks are now producing antlers 10 inches less and 3 � year-old bucks are producing antlers a whopping 20 gross inches less than they did before the AR was enacted.

Is that what hunters want? Hunters are ultimately focused on antler size. Do hunters really want 3 � year-old bucks to harvest that now average 20 gross inches less than they used to? That's the difference between 3 1/2 year-old bucks that used to average 115 gross now only average 95 gross. That�s a HUGE difference. And worse yet, we do not currently know if that damage done is permanent. That is biologically possible.

I personally like AR's. I'm not saying they are appropriate for every area,.. but are a valuable management tool in other areas when combined with adequate doe harvest.

As I�ve said before, I see ARs as a measure of last resort, when even low buck bag limits are not protecting enough yearling bucks. ARs have too many limitations and can cause too many problems, and we don�t know how long-term the problems they cause can be.

I'm sure if MS set different goals for each region they could come up with a compromise for every area.

Perhaps, but that�s easier said than done. Then throw in the fact MS never wanted ARs in the first place�they were enacted by their state�s legislature with no input from biologists. The legislature may over-rule any attempt by biologists to correct the problem. That�s a prime example of letting the uninformed make critical and complex biological decisions.

I feel GA has proven this with different techniques for their state.

GA�s system is very different. Their system only places an AR on a 2nd buck harvested. This produces much less unnatural selective pressure on young bucks hence less damage done. IF TN ever was forced to use ARs, I believe that type of system would be best considering the low percentage of hunters that kill two bucks. In essence, much less chance of high-grading and/or potentially damaging the deer herd.

If a state agency see's a need to protect more yearling bucks in certain areas , units with AR's can improve the herd for that area.

The problem is, an AR might do more harm than good. Yes, increasing the buck age structure (protecting young bucks) is a good thing. But high-grading out the best and only protecting the worst might produce long-term damage to the herd. We don�t know yet because these systems haven�t been in place long enough to test these ideas.

BUT,.. i agree ,.. it must be done county specific or unit specific.

Unfortunately, even county specific may not work. Some counties have portions of very good habitat and portions of very poor habitat. Antler development can vary dramatically across even a single county. No biologically sound AR could be designed for these counties that didn�t harm one or the other section of the county.

Using TN as a example and if there were a need to protect more yearling bucks ,.. what result would come from a 3 pt 1 side AR from nashville eastbound? Its been said that this area has the most hunters and poorest soils. Would a AR help this area?

Again, that�s way too generic of a region. Within that entire area there will be areas where a 3 point rule could do tremendous harm while other areas it might help.

Unless absolutely biologically necessary, ARs shouldn�t be used. They have too much potential for doing harm to the herd. If good biological data indicates too many yearling bucks are being harvested from an area, other techniques should be tried first, preferably low buck bag limits. Only if those measures have been tried and fail should ARs be considered. And honestly, I would try other measures beyond a 1 buck limit before I went to ARs.

deerchaser007

BSK,. hope i'm not getting you upset at me for discussing this, thats not my intent at all, but you said yourself that even the early born buck fawns with the worse genetic eventually catch up in antler growth in the 3.5 and 4.5 stage. SO,. just in areas with high yearling harvests with high hunter numbers,. it seems to me it would be better for the herd to at least have a adequate number of bucks reaching those age classes instead of the opposite, regardless of antler inches. Thats probably the reason its not effective in the ag region of MS. Especially mixed with poor doe harvest and high deer density.

BUT,.. i'm in full agreement with you on the GA system,. thats why i like it. Its suites the need for both the herd and hunter in that state. It may not work for other states such as TN or MS,.. but i think its ben a perfect fit for their goals.

Thanks for discussing this with us!

BSK

deerchaser007 said:
BSK,. hope i'm not getting you upset at me for discussing this, thats not my intent at all, but you said yourself that even the early born buck fawns with the worse genetic eventually catch up in antler growth in the 3.5 and 4.5 stage.

That is not what I said (or at least meant to say). Some catch up. Others never do. Using unnatural selection criteria on any animal population WILL lead to problems in the future. I guarantee it.

Latest posts