Interesting article on hogs

Huntaholic

They have done a pretty damn good job of getting rid of them! Much to my dismay, I cant even cut a set of fresh tracks in the snow any more on my property in Clay co. I know Im in the minority but I kinda liked having something I could track down and kill if it snowed. My land borders standing stone and the concentrated trapping effort they have put in the last few years has decimated the hog population.

Huntaholic

Very interesting. I also found it interesting that only one stomach DNA sample from GA showed turkey DNA but the article mentioned and linked an article stating 29% of turkey nest were raided by hogs, in another study.
That would definitely align with the issue at LBL. Raiding nest and consuming the turkey food source.

Very interesting. I also found it interesting that only one stomach DNA sample from GA showed turkey DNA but the article mentioned and linked an article stating 29% of turkey nest were raided by hogs, in another study.
That would definitely align with the issue at LBL. Raiding nest and consuming the turkey food source

That would definitely align with the issue at LBL. Raiding nest and consuming the turkey food source.
Hmm. Well if they are nest raiders I say KILL THEM ALL!

BDS05

Also noticed such. Only 1/219 samples included DNA, presumed from a scavenged carcass.
However in another study, populations grew noticeably where pigs were removed (1 per 18 acres).
IMO, it's sad we apparently cannot rely on sportsman to alleviate this issue. It pisses me off to no end knowing I can't legally kill one of these animals due to the actions of some greedy "hunters".
While upset I can't kill, I have ran across agency traps / pig sign / pig sighting years ago on public lands and to this day, public knowledge of the critters still appears slim. This leads me to believe their (our state) efforts and rules I still don't like appear to be working on an animal that is apparently ridiculously invasive.
Kudos to those fighting the fight.

killingtime 41

I'll take hogs over bears any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The hog population is still spreading in my neck of the woods but isn't just over the top. You can knock them back.
Yes bears are nuisance. We're there's to many bears the deer are almost non existing. Thousands of acres of bear reserves around here. Is that really necessary this day and age. Today I was looking at the Virginia DNR hunting regs and map today. Seems they regulate county by county. And I liked they're version of the wma map a whole lot better than ours. Just an observation never looked at it before. May not be a better system all together to those that know.

TheLBLman

Pigs, coyotes, and bears.
Statewide, the fewer, the better.

IMO, all should be legal to kill year-round outside a very few areas such as a bear preserve, more for the main purpose of preventing extinction, than increasing populations.

Pigs & coyotes are non-native invasive species displacing natives.

Madbowh

A few years ago I was hunting bsf and shot a boar that dressed 298. Had 4 Tom's come right in front of me while sitting on the ground, they walked past me uphill. A minute later I heard a lot of commotion above me I looked and seen the boar I ended up shooting chasing those Tom's. I wondered was he trying to eat them? I guess he was

AppalachiaVol

A few years ago I was hunting bsf and shot a boar that dressed 298. Had 4 Tom's come right in front of me while sitting on the ground, they walked past me uphill. A minute later I heard a lot of commotion above me I looked and seen the boar I ended up shooting chasing those Tom's. I wondered was he trying to eat them? I guess he was
I'd love to discuss BSF with you if you wanna Pm me (I can't yet). I normally hunt Cherokee looking to expand

Latest posts