Inline muzzle loaders are a modern invention....

Wobblyshot1

Who says? A replica of an inline flintlock I saw at the CLA show. This one even uses a coil spring to propel the flint. It was ahead of its time but never caught on. At least until years after the percussion cap was invented.

ratsnakeboogy

TennesseeJed said:
ratsnakeboogy said:
Do enough research and you will find Inlines came way before side locks.

Which inline predates a wheelock or snaphaunce?

The first patent for an inline was applied for in 1807 and granted in 1808, but there are inline designs dating back to the 15th century. They were often times one of guns commissioned by royalty and relied on flint held directly behind the powder charge that was smashed into a flint block. These designs predate the wheel lock.

The point is: the inline design itself is far from modern. No need to split hairs.

ratsnakeboogy

As a side note, the wheel lock was actually a modern improvement to the often times UNRELIABLE inline design.

So the answer of who's shooting the more modern muzzleloader design is very ironic. IMHO.

ratsnakeboogy

I really never understood the problem some have with inlines or smokeless. I don't know many people running around in the woods chasing deer with flintlocks, but I'm sure some do. Tennessee has a muzzleloader season, not a primitive weapons season. If they approve a single shot big bore for muzzleloader season, that just gives me an excuse to buy another rifle. The deer population seems to be growing, and I personally believe the number of hunters to be declining or on the verge of a decline. If they open rock season, I'm going to buy the most modern, aerodynamic deer slaying stone I can afford and head to the woods.

Rubberduck270

Well put ratsnakeboogy. If people don't like the use of inlines and smokeless MLs they have the option of using whatever Muzzleloader they deem fit. To each his own. No one knocks on archery guys for having the fastest, quietest bow made each year. Inlines and smokeless MLs are no different.

Wobblyshot1

ratsnakeboogy said:
I really never understood the problem some have with inlines or smokeless. I don't know many people running around in the woods chasing deer with flintlocks, but I'm sure some do. Tennessee has a muzzleloader season, not a primitive weapons season. If they approve a single shot big bore for muzzleloader season, that just gives me an excuse to buy another rifle. The deer population seems to be growing, and I personally believe the number of hunters to be declining or on the verge of a decline. If they open rock season, I'm going to buy the most modern, aerodynamic deer slaying stone I can afford and head to the woods.

I don't have any problem at all with smokeless muzzle loaders or inlines as far as that's concerned. They are both legal means in Tennessee. Hope you don't mine me using my flintlock. There's plenty of room in the woods for both of us.

Wobblyshot1

I didn't think it was. I was just letting you know where I stand. I've been shooting traditional style muzzle loaders of all kinds for 40 years and like to promote the sport. That's why I sometimes post stuff like this. I'm always hoping to spark a little interest in the old ways, especially with the younger folks. Lord knows we need more of them if this tradition is to continue. It might be a stretch on a site like this but I still have to try.

Latest posts