Indian Flat Falls - GSMNP

Buzzard Breath

After sitting behind a computer all weekend, I needed to get out and stretch my legs some yesterday. With nothing better to do, I grabbed my backpack, slipped in 2 gallon jugs of water, filled my waterbladder, and grabbed a handfull of snacks. I hadn't been up Lynn Camp Prong since they closed it to fishing a few years ago, so off I went.

It all looks just the way it did when I was here last time.
P1000661.jpg

The first site you come to, about 100 yards up the trail is Lynn Camp Prong Falls.
P1000663.jpg

The light was horrible for photographing the falls, but you'll just have to believe me that they are there.

Once above the falls, the trail follows Lynn Camp Prong where the current brook trout restoration efforts are occuring.
P1000664.jpg

I think I've fished every pool from the top of Lynn Camp Prong Falls to the base of Indian Flat Falls. I've probably caught fish from most of them. Could you guess what was my faavorite stream in the park?

I'm thinking about getting one of these as my next hunting truck.
P1000676.jpg

An old CCC camp is located along this trail somewhere, I wonder if this is some of the remnants of it?
P1000668.jpg

2.3 miles from the trailhead, you come across Panther Creek Trail.
P1000665.jpg

I've never hiked up it, but it's on my "to do" list.

The trail goes on and eventually Lynn Camp Prong turns off from the trail and you are left following Indian Flat Prong.
P1000666.jpg

I had never been to the falls from the trail, only from the stream bed, and missed the turn for the base of the falls. I did hit the trail that takes me to the top of the three falls and this was what I saw.
P1000672.jpg

You're just going to have to believe me when I say the rest of the falls are pretty cool, because when I finally hiked back ddown to the bottom, the skies had opened up and I wasn't going to pull by camera out of its protective zip-lock.

I don't ever like to finish my hike without knowing the exact distance, so I hiked the rest of the way to Greenbrier Ridge Trail (1.8 miles from Panther Creek Tr.) before heading back.
P1000673.jpg

8.2 miles total. In all, it was a good hike and I slept like a baby last night.
P1000674.jpg

Latest posts