I'm getting......

tn24

too old to put up a single man ladder stand by myself. The last time I put one up was about 10 years ago. I guess going from 53 to 63 years old makes a lot of difference. I finally got it up but I'll feel it for a few days.

portugeejn

Yup. All kinds of stuff that I used to be able to do at 53 I don't have success at with at 63. Biggest disappointment is that I put off stuff, telling myself that I'd have time when I retire. Now that I am, some of the stuff hurts too much to do. Or I suffer for it for a few days afterwards.

Last edited:

Crappieaddict

too old to put up a single man ladder stand by myself. The last time I put one up was about 10 years ago. I guess going from 53 to 63 years old makes a lot of difference. I finally got it up but I'll feel it for a few days.
Ha ha! I did the same Saturday. I'm also 63, but fortunately got some help from my wife. Yes, I still feel it!

RobDooley

I'm 66 and it is tough and dangerous. The last two years I put up three ladder stands solo. I bought a winch that straps to the tree, and you crank it up. Still kind of hard to do. I did not complete any of the three stands in a single day.

TNCharlie

Ah, yes. I remember being young, dumb, and full of... well, you know the rest. 75 now and in overall pretty good health. But I have moderated my activities more towards comfort and safety.

I can't recall the last time I climbed a tree. On my own property, over time, I have built shooting houses. If I'm on other property, I use pop-up ground blinds. I can stay warm, dry, and comfortable. Best of all - no climbing, greatly reducing the dangers of falling and the exertion of climbing. And for icing on the cake - I kill plenty of deer, partly because by being comfortable I tend to hunt longer.

BSK

All of the primary hunters on my place are between 60 and 70 years old. One weekend a year, usually in August, we have a stand-moving weekend. We try to move as many ladder stands as we can, with many being the big, heavy 2-person "buddy" ladders. This year, we moved 16 in two days. Have to admit, we were all pretty whipped by the end of that weekend.

KTS

Most of ya'll are still young whipper snappers. :)
I'm 81 and still trying to hunt some. I gave up tree stands about 5 years ago. Now I really struggle just to put up a pop up blind.
I still love it, been deer hunting since 1962 and will as long as I can get in the woods.

Hduke86

All I've got to say is GOOD FOR YALL GENTLEMEN. My grandparents are that age and even a couple of my neighbors. I can't imagine ANY of them dragging ladderstands around especially off in the woods alone. Always keep a cellphone handy like in your pocket cause it does zero good if it's in the truck or backpack away from you and you're on the ground hurt and unable to move.

Falconi

Erecting ladder stands is NOT a one-person job! Too hard, too dangerous.

I haven't tried yet, but I bought one of these to help with the job:

1666018460993.png

Snake

I'm 68 and trying getting a double stand up earlier and did accomplish it but not without injuries . I was cranking it up with a come a long and the ladder I was on shifted and thrower me to the ground . Lost the battle but won the war stayed snd got it up wiping blood the whole time. Fractured cheek and dislocated ring finger but I'm good thanks to the Lord.

Attachments

• IMG_20220921_173147.jpg
    IMG_20220921_173147.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220921_193327.jpg
    IMG_20220921_193327.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20220921_173125.jpg
    IMG_20220921_173125.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts