I'm bored.

TNTony

Back in the earlier part of this year I sold my property over upcoming(and relevant) issues with my job going out of business. Good thing I sold it so not to be burdened with the debt, but it was my food plot laboratory. I never had any great success but it was fun and interesting to see what I could do with a few little patches of dirt. I really missed that this year, but it would've been a tough year with this lack of rain.

Radar

I know how you feel . I owned a small tract on good bottomland about 10 years ago and sold it .
There is nothing more rewarding as owning your own land and managing the habitat to the benefit of the game .

deerchaser007

Like hook said,.. its VERY tuff this year. I'm expecting to loose about 60 percent of what i planted. The rain we got 10 days ago was a good one,... it made all my seed germinate the best i've had in 8 years. BUT,. the lack of rain since, the 90 degree weather holding on, and the drought we've had all year really took it toll. I had my annual clovers germinate about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch after that rain,.. on tuesday over 70 percent of the top plot was missing the clover that had germinated and the buckwheat and oats and wheat and rape was wilty looking. The bottom plots are holding SOME better. The little 1/2 inch rain we received this morning will help the buckwheat and oats and rape some,.. but with no more in the forecast til end of the week next week,.. i'm predicting a 60 percent lose.

BSK

deerchaser007,

I didn't think my buckwheat would make it either. It germinate 2 1/2 weeks ago and then not another drop until yesterday and last night. It looked terrible, all wilty... However, here's the interesting part. If you look at the buckwheat in the early morning it is standing up and looking great. But by mid-day, all wilted. I think that is the plant's way of conserving moisture. It closes its leaves down to slow water transpiration to the air. I think your buckwheat should be fine.

TNTony

TAS said:
TNTony,

I feel for ya.. You can come work on mine anytime you want! :D
Thats funny you say that. I got all my equipment sitting in the barn and I have tons of spare time because of the work I do so I was thinking of offering to help folks with their projects.

TNTony

Gravey said:
Dang man, I didn't know you sold it. You spending all your time at PP?
No not planning to. I'm looking at a lease option or two right now, and if the job keeps throwing 7 grand on me for two weeks outta a month then I'll be back in the market for a farm next spring.

Radar

This has been a weird summer . With the drought , the trees in my yard went dormant . Now my Bradford Pear and Washington Hawthorn trees are flowering .

deerchaser007

BSK said:
deerchaser007,

I didn't think my buckwheat would make it either. It germinate 2 1/2 weeks ago and then not another drop until yesterday and last night. It looked terrible, all wilty... However, here's the interesting part. If you look at the buckwheat in the early morning it is standing up and looking great. But by mid-day, all wilted. I think that is the plant's way of conserving moisture. It closes its leaves down to slow water transpiration to the air. I think your buckwheat should be fine.

Thats good news for the buckwheat,.. but it will only last me til frost. My concern now is my winter forage and early spring forage in my plots.

Latest posts