I will admit it was fun

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Last week I caught three channel cats.
Well actually laid hands on two, the second one was lost with a piss pour one handed attempt at using a net.

Anyway, the last one weighed 5 pounds.
I was using my 9' slab shaker crappie rod, 6 pound test line and a 1" berkley gulp minnow.
Caught it off of a fish attractor and never dreamed I would get it in. I could feel the brush rubbing against my line.
Finally was able to use the trolling motor to get it away from the brush and out into open water.
Think I brought him up 5 times only to have him go right back to the bottom before landing him. I was in 10' of water at the time.

It was a good time for sure. Nasty slimey thing. 🤢
It will taste good thought. :D

Spurhunter

Nasty slimey thing. 🤢
I hate em. Slime up your line, and everything they touch including the boat carpet if you drop him. I hope I never catch another one. I'd rather catch a drum. I can get him released faster without the slime. Most of the guys I fish with throw the cats in the cooler. They think I'm crazy for not wanting them slimy suckers in my boat.

Sako

catching them on the gulp minnows on ultralight line is a blast and sometimes a challenge. They can be a little annoying but they certainly drag you around with the small rod & reel and light line

Tenntrapper

I hate em. Slime up your line, and everything they touch including the boat carpet if you drop him. I hope I never catch another one. I'd rather catch a drum. I can get him released faster without the slime. Most of the guys I fish with throw the cats in the cooler. They think I'm crazy for not wanting them slimy suckers in my boat.
If you think the fresh water cats are slimy...better hope you never catch the salt water version. They are unreal.

redblood

I agree. They fight for sure, but i dont like catfish to eat so they are kind of like catching a shark while salt water fishing- alot of hassle and trouble for the return

Latest posts