I was stalking 5 Toms/Jakes and this happened! (Video)

Henry

How to start your day: Go out on the front porch around 6:30, make a strange loud noise and receive a gobble back.

I knew there would be a gobble because there have been 3 turkeys here for the last week (one a definite Tom). This morning there were five, so I got the scope out and saw that they all have beards (I know, this doesn't mean they're Toms/Jakes, especially the ones drinking Bud Light).

Beautiful day, so I went out and stalked them. We have been watching them from the living room and the front porch. We're up on a small knoll so we have a little shallow valley right in front/north of the house and another section of cleared land past the garden on the west side. The wind was coming from the north, north east. I mowed the valley one time this year, on April 13, and have let it grow since then and this last week of seeing turkey was a great reward for my experiment!!!

Anyway, I'm sitting on the ground on the edge of the valley watching the turkey and waiting for them to come back across the clearing to the right/east to me and out popped 6 deer. At least one was a very young bambi. Another possible slightly older/larger bambi was there. (Let me know if you think there is a second bambi.)

A week or so ago someone on here was talking about deer and turkey being together so this was some great video of that. I was quite happy after seeing all this and started to get up to leave and saw another turkey on the opposite side/east of the valley. My leg was asleep and my behind was muddy and wet so I took a few steps sideways to get out of site and walked up to the house. Sure enough, a few minutes later I'm out throwing the ball to the dog and those turkeys who disappeared into the woods on the west side of the valley with the deer were walking right back across the valley toward where I had been sitting. I'm pretty sure they were snickering at me!

I took several short videos because I didn't know how long they can be without being too large to post.

What an amazing experience!
Enjoy!!!

(Note: there are three turkey in the tall grass to the right of the closest tree.)

May 21 2023 deer visit turkey videos 148.jpg

The next video was actually the first one I took right after the shock of seeing the deer start coming out of the woods. They're looking right at me, must have seen the movement of getting the phone out of my pocket. Other than the two obvious turkey to the left of the video, there are 3 more on the right side that can be seen later in the video. So cool!!!

Last edited:

Henry

Hope to some day live where I can hear a gobble from the front porch and experience something like that on my own land! Thanks for sharing.
You will. I had to wait until I retired, but you'll do it sooner than me, I'm sure.
This place hasn't been hunted for 6 years, but last year there was only one group of turkey about a 18-20 minute walk out on the furthest corner of the property. This year there was one there and a second one about a 5 minute walk away. But I haven't taken one yet.
I listened to the advice of a neighbor who told me to only cut the grass once in early spring where these guys are hanging out now and they've taken to the tall but thinnish grass that's about to go to seed for a week now. I can't believe what he said worked!

Last edited:

Latest posts