I want to buy an old satellite dish. Dickson / Centreville

Madbowh

I have a project that I'm working on (directional Wi-Fi) and would like to get my hands on an old satellite dish. My neighbor gets 1-2 megabits per second (if that) download, I get 300-600, depending on the time of day). The cable company wants a ridiculous amount of money to run a line out to his house, even though it's less than a mile down a long driveway from mine, and he's just flat out not willing to pay for it, on top of that, he's not a heavy internet user and wouldn't need anything more than 20mbs or so to stream a movie and browse the internet. He doesn't play games, or anything like that, so latency is not an issue.

My cable company keeps bumping the bill up and adding speed that I can't use anyway due to my equipment limitations, so I figured if I could build him a wireless bridge, we could both solve some of our problems. He could help me a little bit with the cable bill, and I could get his internet speeds fast enough to watch a movie without it having to load.

His house is almost unobstructed line of sight, and would only require a signal bend of around 10° at one point, which I believe could be done passively, without using a powered bridge. The general idea is that two highly directional antennae would be pointed at the same reflector, then bridged into the home network with ethernet.

Anyway, if anyone has an old satellite dish that they're willing to sell, or part with for free it would be greatly appreciated. The more components (mount, mast, etc) the better, but I really just need the parabolic dish itself, minor damage is okay.

I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount of money for somebody's scrap metal, so hit me up if you have an old dish that you wouldn't mind partying with and live in the Dicksonn / Centerville area.

Any offers of 2.4 GHz wireless antenna will be considered as well.

Thanks guys.
I know nothing of any of this but I have a older dish network satellite I'll take down and give you if you'll pick it up if that's what you need I'm in crossville

BMan

It's been a game changer for us. Livin out in the country internet is spotty at best. Since we got Starlink….not one issue.

Do you use a VPN over Starlink? If so, have you run into any latency issues?

Not talking about the anonymizer VPNs that are the rage now, but the actual VPN clients for working remotely.

Smells Like Sulfur

I have 3 you can have
Rough location please?
Do you use a VPN over Starlink? If so, have you run into any latency issues?

Not talking about the anonymizer VPNs that are the rage now, but the actual VPN clients for working remotely.
No, I'm using these as 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi directional antennae. Looking to cover a little over a quarter mile with @ 15-20Mbs.

BMan

Rough location please?

No, I'm using these as 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi directional antennae. Looking to cover a little over a quarter mile with @ 15-20Mbs.

I was asking him if he used a VPN over Starlink as I work from home and am thinking about moving to Starlink. However, I need to know if latency is an issue for Cisco AnyConnect, Aruba GlobalConnect, and whatever the boss lady uses for her job.

Smells Like Sulfur

I vote for all of us taking our old satellite dishes down and leaving them in SLS driveway. Who's with me?? 😂

Please send address….I'm getting the ladder.
I would really like to see someone pay for a Comcast fiber connection, and then use those satellites to ad-hoc that connection to their entire neighborhood. Verizon and Comcast keep upping my bill and lowering my speeds, so I see that as quite fitting. If nobody gets the speed they pay for anyway, why not just share a connection. I think it's technically a violation of terms of service, but if I pay for gigabit, and I'm getting regularly between 50 and 200 megabits, they're not fulfilling their end of the contract either. If you did it behind the right kind of switch and firewall they would never know either except for the fact that no one on the street has internet.

I payed for 1.2 GBs, have all the equipment that's capable of doing so (used to have Verizon FiOS, and was able to get over a thousand megabits wired (500mbs+wireless ) pretty regularly, so I know it's not my equipment, they're just mad that I don't rent anything from them, and keep telling me I need to upgrade my modem to one of theirs. The modem I have is rated for over 1 gbs on Comcast specifically. My internal network speeds are always over a 1gbs. I understand peak hours and load demand, but getting less than 1/10 - 1/20th of what I pay for is unacceptable.

Latest posts