I want to buy an old satellite dish. Dickson / Centreville

Smells Like Sulfur

I have a project that I'm working on (directional Wi-Fi) and would like to get my hands on an old satellite dish. My neighbor gets 1-2 megabits per second (if that) download, I get 300-600, depending on the time of day). The cable company wants a ridiculous amount of money to run a line out to his house, even though it's less than a mile down a long driveway from mine, and he's just flat out not willing to pay for it, on top of that, he's not a heavy internet user and wouldn't need anything more than 20mbs or so to stream a movie and browse the internet. He doesn't play games, or anything like that, so latency is not an issue.

My cable company keeps bumping the bill up and adding speed that I can't use anyway due to my equipment limitations, so I figured if I could build him a wireless bridge, we could both solve some of our problems. He could help me a little bit with the cable bill, and I could get his internet speeds fast enough to watch a movie without it having to load.

His house is almost unobstructed line of sight, and would only require a signal bend of around 10° at one point, which I believe could be done passively, without using a powered bridge. The general idea is that two highly directional antennae would be pointed at the same reflector, then bridged into the home network with ethernet.

Anyway, if anyone has an old satellite dish that they're willing to sell, or part with for free it would be greatly appreciated. The more components (mount, mast, etc) the better, but I really just need the parabolic dish itself, minor damage is okay.

I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount of money for somebody's scrap metal, so hit me up if you have an old dish that you wouldn't mind partying with and live in the Dicksonn / Centerville area.

Any offers of 2.4 GHz wireless antenna will be considered as well.

Thanks guys.

BPhunter

Have you checked for a wireless provider in your area?
I had Hughesnet and was paying almost $200/ mo.
Then I found a new wireless provide in the area and cost went down to $75/mo.

lafn96

I just installed this a couple months ago to get internet to my shop. Extremely easy to set up, and it is not picky at all about getting it pointed exactly at each other. For example, I had the sending unit in the back bedroom of the house, and the receiving unit 150 yds away inside the shop. It was still getting 50 mbs up/down. Now I have them pointed at each other about 120 yds away with a clear line of sight, and getting 220 up/down. Says it's good for up to 3 kilometers.

Amazon link

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

BPhunter

I just installed this a couple months ago to get internet to my shop. Extremely easy to set up, and it is not picky at all about getting it pointed exactly at each other. For example, I had the sending unit in the back bedroom of the house, and the receiving unit 150 yds away inside the shop. It was still getting 50 mbs up/down. Now I have them pointed at each other about 120 yds away with a clear line of sight, and getting 220 up/down. Says it's good for up to 3 kilometers.

Amazon link
Thanks. I'm looking to get internet to my shop.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Flint

I have a project that I'm working on (directional Wi-Fi) and would like to get my hands on an old satellite dish. My neighbor gets 1-2 megabits per second (if that) download, I get 300-600, depending on the time of day). The cable company wants a ridiculous amount of money to run a line out to his house, even though it's less than a mile down a long driveway from mine, and he's just flat out not willing to pay for it, on top of that, he's not a heavy internet user and wouldn't need anything more than 20mbs or so to stream a movie and browse the internet. He doesn't play games, or anything like that, so latency is not an issue.

My cable company keeps bumping the bill up and adding speed that I can't use anyway due to my equipment limitations, so I figured if I could build him a wireless bridge, we could both solve some of our problems. He could help me a little bit with the cable bill, and I could get his internet speeds fast enough to watch a movie without it having to load.

His house is almost unobstructed line of sight, and would only require a signal bend of around 10° at one point, which I believe could be done passively, without using a powered bridge. The general idea is that two highly directional antennae would be pointed at the same reflector, then bridged into the home network with ethernet.

Anyway, if anyone has an old satellite dish that they're willing to sell, or part with for free it would be greatly appreciated. The more components (mount, mast, etc) the better, but I really just need the parabolic dish itself, minor damage is okay.

I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount of money for somebody's scrap metal, so hit me up if you have an old dish that you wouldn't mind partying with and live in the Dicksonn / Centerville area.

Any offers of 2.4 GHz wireless antenna will be considered as well.

Thanks guys.
I've got a direct TV dish with the mounting hardware that you can have. I'm near pleasant view.

BPhunter

I've got one from dish network and one from hughesnet. Just an eyesore that has to come down. In Colorado though. But they are free!

Latest posts