I remember bowhunting when...

BowGuy84

I think this will be fun. Not about who can remember the most primative thing, just how things have changed. I've only been bow hunting for about 11 years and took a few off in there.

I remember bowhunting when...

you had a 10 yard pin

Radar

I remember bowhunting when , I shot with fingers instead of a release , a short bow was 43" , arrow speed was AMO standard not IBO , arrows were Easton Aluminum , with 2117's the most popular choice in spine , 5" fletchings were standard , nocks were glued on to a tapered shaft , round wheels instead of cams , the only camo was leaf camo or military camo .
I could go on and on ......

pjridge

Radar said:
I remember bowhunting when , I shot with fingers instead of a release , a short bow was 43" , arrow speed was AMO standard not IBO , arrows were Easton Aluminum , with 2117's the most popular choice in spine , 5" fletchings were standard , nocks were glued on to a tapered shaft , round wheels instead of cams , the only camo was leaf camo or military camo .

Yep. My not so fondest memory was by the middle of October the center of my chest felt like someone used a cheese grader on it from bear huggin trees. Leaving a scent post and using those unsafe, loud Baker stands. I don't see how I ever killed a deer. LOL

Radar

pjridge said:
Radar said:

Yep. My not so fondest memory was by the middle of October the center of my chest felt like someone used a cheese grader on it from bear huggin trees. Leaving a scent post and using those unsafe, loud Baker stands. I don't see how I ever killed a deer. LOL

Yet , there are times when I long for those good old days . I had some of my most exciting hunts early on when I was still learning to bowhunt . I made a lot of mistakes back then , but I tried to learn from them .
I remember when .... There were no Internet forums , just magazines , mentors , and local proshops to gain knowledge about archery and bowhunting . I had some very good mentors when I got started .
I learned more just being out there hunting and gaining experience . There is no substitute for experience , and now with the Internet forums , there are guys with limited experience becoming instant overnight experts .
The learning curve is much shorter these days . Bowhunting was tougher back then .

papaw

Archery licence was $2.50 . You could get a couple hundred acres of land to hunt and all it cost was politely asking and a hand shake. You could watch a bowhunting video and not one time see some fool sittin in his deer stand playing on his cell phone.

Radar said:

And I broke the 200 fps barrier by switching to XX75 2213 in Autumn Orange.
I remember when the most hi-tech gadget on the market was a Razorback 5 broadhead. I used to spend hours fine tuning these heads and making them spin more freely.

I used that plexiglass rangefinder that had lines close together that you fit the top of back and bottom of belly into the appropriate slot to use the corresponding sight pin.

I made my climber out of aluminum and plywood and hugged the tree to climb. My shoulder straps were made out of junk yard seat belts.

A Hot Shot release was state of the art.

bowriter

R.I.P.
1- You had no pin.
2-Quiver was a block of styrofoam.
3- Pete Rickard had the only call or scent.
4- There were no commercial tree stands.
5- My WY elk and bear tag was $5 for both.

Latest posts