I realized something today

cecil30-30

I realized something today while checking the zero of my muzzleloader.My first shot was off just a tad and I was gonna make an adjustment,but figured I'd take another shot to double check,and took the shot and it was still on..SO while I was trying to figure out if I had pulled the shot or what on the first shot to cause it to be off,I realized,i had left the ramrod out on the first shot and put it back in my ML on the second shot..I don't know if this goes for all muzzleloaders or not,but mine definatly shoots different when the ramrod is out of the gun,as opposed to when it is in the gun..So my ML is zeroed with the ramrod in,you take the ramrod out,and it shoots just a little off to the right..

.44mag

I dont know if your first shot was with a clean bore or not but mine will shoot differant between the first and second shot if the first shot is with a clean bore, That is why I shoot a fouling shot first.

cecil30-30

.44mag said:
I dont know if your first shot was with a clean bore or not but mine will shoot differant between the first and second shot if the first shot is with a clean bore, That is why I shoot a fouling shot first.
It shoots pretty much the same with the FPB bullet,now after the 4th and 5th shot without swabbing,it starts opening the groups up..Before I load the first shot in it,i'll run a clean patch down the barrel and then i'll pop a cap off to make sure its open.

That always bothered me, having a gun that shoots different with a clean bore (first shot) than it does with the following shots..I mean what do you sight it in for? The clean bore shot #1,or the following shots..I guess you would have to clean the barrel good between everyshot. I shot alot of bullets to get first shot accuracy that matches the following shots accuracy..And the FPB does this,and does it well..

fishboy1

I noticed the same thing on my old MZ. First shot would print 3-4" different from shots 2-5.

Changed my procedure to this.

Clean barreled gun just out of storage.(or just cleaned after sighting in)
Swab the doo doo out of it with clean patches.(5-6 patches) Get all the oil out of the barrel before I make the first shot. If the weather is cold, Ill pop 1 - 209 primer before loading the first shot.

Now my first shot in a clean DRY barrel is within 1/2" of my group with a fouled barrel.

After 4 shots it gets too hard to load and needs to be patched and the groups open up anyway.

7mm08

stik said:
leaving the ramrod out changes the harmonics of your barrel and will change point of impact.

That's crazy. Now I have to go back and review Physics! You just took the fun out of this new shooting sport! HA..

Thing I learned if you lean across the hood of your truck to target practice with a MZ you better wash the truck afterwards. Just happened to touch the truck on that side the other day and thought what the???? That's some nasty stuff spewing out of that barrel. :eek:

fastbs

stik said:
leaving the ramrod out changes the harmonics of your barrel and will change point of impact.

yep. there are alot of things that can change your POI thet i've learned about in the past couple years. Some guns are pickier than others but even where you hold or rest the forearm can change your POI.

Latest posts