I finally figured out a big problem.

kaizen leader

After hunting for over 50 years I finally saw on a YouTube what I was doing wrong archery shooting deer. I have been aiming to high. Dah. That won't happen again. I just did it again on a nice 8 point. I hit him right where I was aiming. High on the shoulder. My brother sent me the YouTube video on where to aim. Sorry Mr buck. Can I have my arrow back? 🥴

Dumbluck

I always tell people to aim where they want their arrow to exit.

I shot a big buck at 50 yards this year, he was on needles when I shot him. I aimed for the bottom of his heart. He jumped my string really bad and I hit him right above the heart and a little behind it getting liver and a tiny bit of lung. I was about 30' up at a pretty decent doward angle. My entry point was actually lower than my exit because the buck had dropped and rolled so hard on release of the arrow; having an entry lower than the exit was a first for me and I have killed a ton of deer with my bow. I could see most of his white belly when my arrow impacted him.

Creek

Shooting deer with an arrow is not a science. It's different every time and the animal has half of the control so anything can happen. The only set in stone rule is that anything that can happen eventually will happen.

Amen!

And knowing my limitations. What I mean is taking advantage of every edge a person can. I personally believe in practicing, so a person is accurate enough to aim at the lowest area of the vitals (lungs/heart), shooting from ground level. The angles from a tree are not something I have entertained much. If the deer begins to "duck" I believe it increases your chances of a successful kill. But everyone is different. Heck, I've been wiping my butt for almost 60 years, and sometimes I still mess that up 😂

Latest posts