I am going to sign up for a REAL 1911 45

DaveB

Okay, first, read this link
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/01/05/ ... kpile.html

What I am going to do is try and explain the process as I proceed from point a to z.

Some on here may have already done this in days long ago , like when you could get an M14A1 for spit. If so, please chime in, we need all the help we can get.

I plan on starting this later today. Follow along or chime in, please.

JimFromTN

My father bought one for $11 back in the 60's. I believe he found an advertisement in popular mechanics and mail ordered it. He could have gotten a garand for $30 but he could not afford it.

DaveB

I belong to Memphis Sport Shooting Association and that is a member of CMP and this means I am CMP qualified.

Now, you need to become CMP qualified. Go here

https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch

and enter the search criteria and determine if you belong to an Association/group/club that is a CMP member.

I also joined CMP from here
https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=login
I don't think this is necessary but we shall see down the road.

Bookmark this site; It is where the current 1911 information will be posted.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

Hunter 257W

You also have to have proof that you have shot in a CMP sanctioned match, right?

I bet those will be anything but cheap. Probably at least $1,000. I'd love to have one though. The CMP website ways they'll price them based on current market prices and that is not good. Sure won't be the bargains of surplus guns of the past when they could be bought for pennies on the dollar compared to their current civilian counterparts.

In a lot of ways I'd prefer one of these 1911's over even the best of the current production 1911's. I have two of the Argentina 1927's and there is a certain charm with such an old clunky gun that looks like crap yet works so well.

DaveB

So far it does not seem to require your participation in an official CMP match.

We are months away from finding out the pricing.

Way I see this there are 70,000 1911's in warehouses. 20,000 are going to be in the first batch released to the public.

I'm going to play this hand as best I can.

Hunter 257W

I read it here Dave:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

Look at number 3 where it lists what "potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP". The 3rd item is "proof of participation in a marksmanship activity". I don't know how easy it would be to find and participate in a match if you aren't already into that sort of shooting. Especially since so much match shooting involves expensive very specialized guns. Of course you could show up and participate with a deer rifle to meet the requirement. It doesn't say you have to score high, does it!? :) I used to shoot informal skeet matches against serious competitors every week using my field grade Ithaca 37 while they had shotguns that cost more than my car.

The only problem I see is timing. With Winter being here now I'm not sure how many matches will be available for several months to make yourself eligible to get one of these. Still it's definitely worth pursuing as it may be the last chance ever to get one at the price they will go for.

Hunter 257W

Let us know because I know that most people never shoot in any kind of real competition yet a bunch of those same shooters seem to get their hands on these CMP guns. Sure wish I'd pursued the original batch of Garands when they were really dirt cheap.........

DaveB

Yes, those garand stories are what are keeping me going.

There are quite a few M14 models in these same warehouses that obamasan chose not to release. Hoping they are next.

mr.big

I heard they were gonna release 10,000 a year ,,,I know there was some Desert Storm Issue 1911`s sold a while back and cost as much as NIB Kimbers..they said you were paying for the provenance and had documents where they were used,,,

DaveB

Yes, the first 10,000 they are going to kick off the automated ranking programs to randomly select buyer #1 through 10,000.

Tiny

I maybe mistaken but my understanding is on CMP, Belong to a club or group Gun Range n have participated in Marksmenship Activity/ Training.
Handgun Carry Permit ,HunterSafety, 4H n others are listed or have been listed as meeting that requirement. Point being I don't think shooting in a,CMP match or Clinic is a Have Too to meet.. But could be wrong.