I’m a terrible guide haha

REN

Had birds hammering right where they were yesterday in the video I posted. Got set up with my 14 year old and OF COURSE they decide to stay high today vs working down the field like yesterday. 17 hens and 5 Tom's fly down 80yds out and come within 60yds but Tom's follow the hens down the ridge.

Once out of site we book it around the ridge and get above them on a dirt mound. Had 4 Tom's 85yds below but 1 single Tom with 5 hens more diagonal from us so I set my son up on him as they were slightly working towards us. 10 mins later I'm so focused on the one I didn't see the 4 other Tom's come back up from the bottom and are at just 30yds and a perfect shot. Unfortunately how I set my son up the mound was in his way and a hen had him pegged down and couldn't move. I could have shot all 4 with no issue haha.

Ended up all working off and we had to leave to get to my youngests soccer game.

No joke I'm so use to "hunting" or at least partner hunting where I at least have a gun even if I don't plan on shooting that I set us up like I would set up solo or with a buddy. Ended up a huge screw up and totally dads fault he didn't get the shot. Kicked myself all the way home but we had a great gun hunt either way.

Lesson learned though. I always forget how much slower and more exact instructions need to be with kids lol.

Attachments

• IMG_6395.MOV
    38.7 MB

Boll Weevil

I always forget how much slower and more exact instructions need to be with kids lol.
Which actually ends up being a good thing in my experience when it comes to guiding. Kids listen and do exactly as they're instructed. Adults think they know it all, don't half listen, and what lil'bit they might have heard they don't adhere to.

Kids are way better when it comes to actually closing the deal. I bet I've had 3x as many adults blow the moment of truth than kids.

REN

Which actually ends up being a good thing in my experience when it comes to guiding. Kids listen and do exactly as they're instructed. Adults think they know it all, don't half listen, and what lil'bit they might have heard they don't adhere to.

Kids are way better when it comes to actually closing the deal. I bet I've had 3x as many adults blow the moment of truth than kids.

Hahah yeah he did EXACTLY as I said. Unfortunately I didn't mean it exactly as I said it. Again all my fault but he learned a lot today as did I :).

Chiflyguy

Had birds hammering right where they were yesterday in the video I posted. Got set up with my 14 year old and OF COURSE they decide to stay high today vs working down the field like yesterday. 17 hens and 5 Tom's fly down 80yds out and come within 60yds but Tom's follow the hens down the ridge.

Once out of site we book it around the ridge and get above them on a dirt mound. Had 4 Tom's 85yds below but 1 single Tom with 5 hens more diagonal from us so I set my son up on him as they were slightly working towards us. 10 mins later I'm so focused on the one I didn't see the 4 other Tom's come back up from the bottom and are at just 30yds and a perfect shot. Unfortunately how I set my son up the mound was in his way and a hen had him pegged down and couldn't move. I could have shot all 4 with no issue haha.

Ended up all working off and we had to leave to get to my youngests soccer game.

No joke I'm so use to "hunting" or at least partner hunting where I at least have a gun even if I don't plan on shooting that I set us up like I would set up solo or with a buddy. Ended up a huge screw up and totally dads fault he didn't get the shot. Kicked myself all the way home but we had a great gun hunt either way.

Lesson learned though. I always forget how much slower and more exact instructions need to be with kids lol.
You took time to spend the morning with your son and instill the love of the outdoors in him.
One day when you're gone, he'll remember this day and smile.
That's a win in my book.

REN

It was A LOT Easier when he was younger and we just blind hopped. But told him this year he was gonna have to learn to hunt them the way I do.

Other then my own bad decision overall he did great. Was still and stealth when needed. Now just need the experience so we can communicate quicker and even non verbally

megalomaniac

Great time with dad, and by 14 they need to learn that it's OK to come home without a bird and experience the hunt for what is most important.. time together and appreciating the game you are pursuing. It wasnt a failure, but a great interaction with a noble creature.

But jeez, been there, done that... getting a kid a turkey while not in a blind is almost impossible. Can't tell you how many birds I could have killed taking my kids hunting trying to get them a bird . Hopefully he is on fire, and has 7 more weeks to get one this year!

Latest posts