hunting knives

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
My personal favorite is my Buck 110.
Very reasonably priced and will skin and cut up anything from small game to deer from my experience.

Never really cared for or needed a gut hook myself.

jrbaker90

I have a buck 110 that was my great grandfather. I also have a buck paklite that I used and I have a set of knives that I got from north American hunting club that I use but I been thinking on another one. How is a folding knife for game cleaning and how hard is it to clean thanks

280longshot

RUGER said:
My personal favorite is my Buck 110.
Very reasonably priced and will skin and cut up anything from small game to deer from my experience.

Never really cared for or needed a gut hook myself.

X2

BlackBelt

I prefer my Buck 110 knife, but any small sharp knife will work.
Unlike most here i actually like using a gut hook. Its quick...really quick to zip open a deer belly. I went without one for years until i watched several professional hunters use them to field dress deer in under 2 minutes. For me field dressing needs to be fast too, so i got a decent Gerber gut hook.
I could go back to not using the gut hook if i had to, but they make field dressing so much cleaner and faster than just using a knife.

moondawg

I've tried using a guthook on a knife, but it just always got in the way when cutting/gutting a deer. The zipper effect is cool, but it was clumsy for me to use otherwise.

I use a large Bucklite Max.

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?eve ... uctID=3675

I like it. It has a rubber handle, it is a fixed blade knife and easy to clean. Might be a bit big for small game like squirrel, but it's fine for big game such as deer.

buckbstr_1

I use the light hunter set by knives of alaska. Been really a good set that stays sharp.

FULLDRAWXX75

I have always said "You need the right tool for the job", sure you can get by now and then, and I am sure if needed be most could gut a deer with a fillet knife, practical? no! But, can be done. You could fillet a fish with a cleaver if you had to also.

IMO if one is looking for a general/versatile knife to cover sm. game and the occasional gutting/skinning of a deer........it is hard to beat a folding pocket knife such as a CaseXX Trapper or Med. Stockman knife. My great uncle never carried anything more than that for over 70 yrs in the deer woods and he gutted tons of deer with it.

FDXX75

280longshot

I would have to agree with you FULLDRAWXX75!
I have seen my Grandpa do many things with his pocket knife.
I have seen him peel apples with the same knife he gutted and skinned deer with. I think that generation did whatever they had to with what they had available at the time.

Orion6

Bucklite Mini Max is awesome. Any of Buck's recent stuff is great.

I've used a Buck 110 Titanium for years and man does that thing hold its edge.

DntBrnDPig

I've got a Havalon. I got it when Eastman magazine was giving it away with a subscription (which was cheaper than just buying the knife).

It's crazy sharp and I've used it for all sorts of things. It's not something you can use to break open the pelvic bone or anything like that, but it will cut just about anything you touch it too. SHARP. And when it dulls? Just pop in a new blade. Although I have yet to have to do that.

Crosshairy

I'm buying a Havalon before next season, myself.

I also got a pretty nifty knife called a "fisherman's friend" from my wife last year on Father's Day, so I'm set up pretty well for my spring/summer/fall fishing conquests.

Latest posts