hunting around Sledge MS?

Cotis

Anyone have any experience hunting in this area? I hunted around there last year and it was spotty but fun.
I heard about "the bank" taking over a bunch of properties and voiding leases this past month, anybody been affected? We were.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
Father in law had a lease down there a few years back. Good for a spoonie shoot and that was about it. How would a bank void a lease? Farmer not paying the bill?

CBU93

Years ago, there used be good hunting all up and down highway 3 from Arkabutla to Marks/lambert. From marks south it got really good. North of Marks was spotty early depending on water levels. Usually got better and more consistent from Christmas on. I hunted at Falcon within sight of the water tower several years and had some good hunts. The better hunting was on South toward Whiting Brake.

Land use practices and farming changed about fifteen years ago when you saw alot of fields and fallow fields went to Bottomland hardwoods programs and the corps started cleaning out ditches and banks for the Coldwater and Tallahatchie drainage areas flood contol affecting water levels. If you don't control it yourself, most natural water holding was negatively affected.

Also, because of these changing habitat conditions, folks figured out they could grow a lot of really big deer to lease the land for increasing competition for available land.

If you have a spot, I wouldn't be afraid to hunt it, but it won't be what it was 15 to 20 years ago. Most really good duck hunting has moved on down toward Crowder and south IMO.

Wildwings

I have been hunting that area and running a duck club there for 20+ years. The farmers have it tough right now and many are hanging it up. Our club hunts the Crenshaw, Sledge and Mark's areas. This downturn in farming happened before in the early 2000s. I have not seen much change in the hunting over the years other than the number of hunters which appears to be dropping.

Cotis

CBU93":2d0wqbcc said:
Years ago, there used be good hunting all up and down highway 3 from Arkabutla to Marks/lambert. From marks south it got really good. North of Marks was spotty early depending on water levels. Usually got better and more consistent from Christmas on. I hunted at Falcon within sight of the water tower several years and had some good hunts. The better hunting was on South toward Whiting Brake.

Land use practices and farming changed about fifteen years ago when you saw alot of fields and fallow fields went to Bottomland hardwoods programs and the corps started cleaning out ditches and banks for the Coldwater and Tallahatchie drainage areas flood contol affecting water levels. If you don't control it yourself, most natural water holding was negatively affected.

Also, because of these changing habitat conditions, folks figured out they could grow a lot of really big deer to lease the land for increasing competition for available land.

If you have a spot, I wouldn't be afraid to hunt it, but it won't be what it was 15 to 20 years ago. Most really good duck hunting has moved on down toward Crowder and south IMO.

Thanks for the info! Our lease this year is going to be a flooded rice field due west of Falcon right up against the Coldwater River. Hoping for a good year.

CBU93

Those fields along the levee used to hold a few ducks. Rice was always good to us...be wary though, I killed several cottonmouths along that levee on sunny January days getting out of the boat along the levee ditch.

Wildwings

The area has always had good hunting we killed almost 2000 birds from one blind, hunting just about everyday of the season. Compare the MS fly over duck count it reflects the duck numbers on the delta. Then look at the Arkansas fly over numbers you will be surprised. My blind is in Mark's,MS. These reports.are available on the State Game and fish websites for Ms and Ark. The maps are color coded to identify area. If you are looking for a lease in that area you will have pretty accurate information to make a decision.

Latest posts