Hunting area advice/opinion

MattR

I have a place to hunt in the mountains/hills and it is mostly hard woods.

Near the peak of the hill there is a spot that sits over a bench, the "area" is maybe 3/4 the size of a football field. In that area there is probably 50+ rubs and countless beds.

There is really only one way up to the area and one way down, there is a bench from an old logging road that winds up the mtn. In their area, there are hardwoods and there is a creek on the bottom of the very steep, impossible to travel side. between the benches going up to the spot their is some thick cover that also has beds in it. they travel straight down the side of the mountain but it is too thick in places and too steep in others for me to make it up in quitely. The deer also travel the bench that winds up the mountain.

There is very little if no hunting pressure at all. I really have no clue on why they are up there.

It is nearly impossible to get up there without getting busted. I tried hunting a close by draw hoping to catch one traveling but there were no good trees around. There is simply too much sign there for me to not hunt it. Honestly, there is so much sign it is very hard to hunt and pretty confusing.

I think I should probably wait until peak cruising before I go back in there again. Any feedback to how you would hunt this area would be appreciated, thanks to a mature buck I can't quit thinking about the best way to go about hunting the area. I think maybe some second opinions would help me decide on what to do.

I also would like to know if anyone has seen an area with that amount of rubs and beds all in the same area. I have read that this could mean it is a breeding area? Not sure what to think about it because it is the only place I have ever scouted like that.

MattR

Yea i swear it just seems like they have almost no reason to come off of there. I have never seen somewhere with that many rubs. Thanks for the feedback. Im not sure when they come out of there, there are fields but I dont believe they hit them, or at least in the mornings they dont. Do you agree this would be a spot tp be arpund when they are cruising or right before the peak cruising phase

eightpointer

Just go in as quietly as possible and prepare to stay all day. My opinion may differ from most others..but I kind of prefer to go in at right about light sometimes as opposed to way before light. I've seen many a deer going in that way.

deerhunter10

I have seen that many rubs and scrapes and beds once in my life and not even my farm a buddies farm. I was filming and saw one of the biggest deer of my life. so I would definitely hunt it. like eightpointer said, I would go in right at day break so you can get in there really quite and hunt all day.

MattR

MUP said:
MattR said:
There is very little if no hunting pressure at all. I really have no clue on why they are up there.

Coupled with your description of the terrain, that's exactly why they're there! ;)

The thing is is there is a lot of land around there that isn't hunted. I guess they just picked this spot. It is pretty steep and hard to access. If is going to be tough to hunt it but I would be an idiot if I didn't hunt it. I just don't want to push them if thats their safe place.

MattR

Yea I know of at least 1 route in. It's actually the easiest to access also. I think thats the plan. They come down off it in two places that I know of. I'll be in one of them. Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it.

MattR

If I did I would only want to do it at the end of the season. I would be afraid they wouldn't like it too much this close to the season. I think I am just going to set at the bottom, where there is a path that they come down at, and hope to catch them coming up or going down. They have to come down one of two places and they are both of my side of the Mtn. It will probably just be an all day sit. I don't think I want to get too close to their area even though I would like to see the sign to take some pics.I think I will do that at the end of this year because the place is a pretty awesome find for someone with my experience level.

The reason I am think so much in to it is because I will only be able to hunt it a few times this year.

Thanks for all the input guys! If I get a big one out of there you'll see pics of it. :)

tn droptine

MattR said:
Yea I know of at least 1 route in. It's actually the easiest to access also. I think thats the plan. They come down off it in two places that I know of. I'll be in one of them. Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it.

This is where I would be - the deer know it is the easiest access too.

Latest posts