HUGE weather news

HOOK

A tropical depression and a tropical storm are both headed towards the Gulf. Ya'll keep an eye on these as it may bring us some wet stuff!!!

BSK

Originally, the models had Tropical Storm Dean heading through the Atantic and hitting the East Coast as a major hurrican right around South Carolina. However, the latest model runs take it into the Gulf, where it curves northward and strikes as a major hurricane in Louisiana and then northwards towards TN. Tropical Depression #5 currently in the Gulf is forecast to move into southern TX but to continue that westward movement into New Mexico instead of swinging northeast towards TN.

That said, long range computer models have a terrible track record of predicting tropical system movements.

Greg .

I hope, if it comes through the Gulf, it hangs a right and heads east to NC once it gets to TN. Save a little rain for us, will ya please? :)

BSK

Mathews Hunter said:
I sure want the rain but I don't want to see another Katrina happen.

And the amazing part of Katrina was, it was not that powerful of a hurricane. It made landfall as only a Category 3 hurricane. However, it was a very large hurricane (very wide, much wider than most), which helped produce such a large storm surge.

I have to laugh every time I hear another global warming nut say that "super" hurricanes like Katrina are being caused by global warming. Katrina was not that strong of a hurricane and those type storms have occured in the past and will continue to occur on rare occassion.

Wait until we really do see a "Super Hurricane" like Camile back in the 60s. They don't happen often, but they do occur. With the amount of human habitation the coasts now see compared to the 1900 through the 1960s (when we experienced several super hurricanes), the devestation will make Katrina look like an afternoon thundershower.

Mathews Hunter

I was looking at some of the pictures from Hurricane Camile. Truly devastating. Your right, if one of those show up again, it won't be pretty. Those storms not only impact the area hit but they will also affect the rest of us in one way or another. Building material cost skyrocket, petroleum product cost rise not to mention many others.

Did not mean to hijack the thread.

AlabamaSwamper

Bryan,

While I was overseeing cleanup crews in Harrison CO, MS (where Camille hit hardest I think) after Katrina, the locals said they'd take Camille over Katrina any day of the week. Many said they rode Camille out. The same homes that were 20ft under water during the Katrina.

From what I could gather, Camille was so small and compact, that it was very bad a few mile east of the eye but the bad winds tapered off pretty quick. Katrina brought in a surge for miles and miles and miles.

Regardless, I hope they don't get that again but the gulf is prime I think.

Stick'n'String

AlabamaSwamper said:
Bryan,

While I was overseeing cleanup crews in Harrison CO, MS (where Camille hit hardest I think) after Katrina, the locals said they'd take Camille over Katrina any day of the week. Many said they rode Camille out. The same homes that were 20ft under water during the Katrina.

From what I could gather, Camille was so small and compact, that it was very bad a few mile east of the eye but the bad winds tapered off pretty quick. Katrina brought in a surge for miles and miles and miles.

Regardless, I hope they don't get that again but the gulf is prime I think.

I grew up in Biloxi and have friends (parents) that rode out both storms and they said the same thing. Before Katrina they said 'I made it thru Camille...' afterward they said 'never again'. The made it as did their home (2 blocks off beach) but it scared the crap out of em.

BSK

Camile's devastation was more localized, but with far worse winds. Katrina had a record-break storm surge due to it's massive size, but wind speeds/damage were much less. But for Katrina, most look at New Orleans as the peak of damage. New Orlean's problems were not the storm surge per se, it was that the levees gave way. The real devastation of Katrina was the MS coastline.

Same thing with David in South Florida--amazing localized wind damage but it was a tiny hurricane for being so powerful, leading to much lower storm surge than expected.

Latest posts