Crazy weather?

RKenney

If we don't have a "freeze" this spring, what will be the outlook for fruit and mast this fall? I remember just a few years ago having a freeze in early May. That was devestating because it was followed by a drought and the hemorrhage disease.

I guess the amount of rainfall this summer will be a factor for sure.

PickettSFHunter

If we dont have a freeze and have ample rainfall then it could be a banner year. Im very leery though, I just cant see us not getting a good freeze still. You can STILL find damage from the last big Spring freeze we had like 5 years if you know where and how to look for it on a wide variety of plant materials. The full effects of that freeze from I think 5 years ago still isnt even realized. I do not, however, worry about this sort of thing as it is just a natural cycle. If I was a nurseryman though, I would go aheah and have my insurance man on speed dial LOL

RKenney

Your right Steven, it is "just a natural cycle". Just look and go back over the weather cycles of many years gone past.

BowGuy84

What evidence/long term effects Steven? It was the second week of turkey season 2007...it snowed. Not doubting just curious.

My concern is the ticks and such...personally and for the deer. I think they have a bigger impact on health/antlers than most people give them credit for.

Bayou Buck

While the heat may cause stress on the herd, if we do make it through the spring without a freeze I believe that all the early vegetation may help the deer herd rebound from the winter faster and be in good shape when it is time for new antler growth. If we have adequate rainfall throughout the summer I think it could be a good year.

Football Hunter

BowGuy84 said:
What evidence/long term effects Steven? It was the second week of turkey season 2007...it snowed. Not doubting just curious.

My concern is the ticks and such...personally and for the deer. I think they have a bigger impact on health/antlers than most people give them credit for.
could be right on the ticks.

PickettSFHunter

BowGuy84 said:

Tip die back, which isnt that bad. Semi woodys in the landscape and of course the woods too, is where you have problems. You can find "split areas" from that freeze event, much like cicida damage. Theres tons of Cicida damage evident now as well from last years big hatch. Thankfully we have a different cycle on the mountain but Cookeville got quite a bit of damage.The split areas make the plant more susceptible to pests with the exposed wood. Borers especially hone in on it and slowly slowly bore the heartwood out, making the plant weaker over time. This type of damage is much like say compaction damage where heavy equipment operates to closely to one side of a tree. The compaction can begin root rot on that side of the tree but you dont notice a problem unless you watch the top of the tree closely. Then one day 10 years down the road, a big wind comes and the tree blows over. Everybody comments on what a strong wind it must have been, but in reality the roots were just rotted on one side so it blew over opposite of that rot. Damage like freeze, compaction, mechanical( like weedeater, mower) just take a long time to fully realize.

Boone 58

smstone22 said:
If we dont have a freeze and have ample rainfall then it could be a banner year. Im very leery though, I just cant see us not getting a good freeze still. You can STILL find damage from the last big Spring freeze we had like 5 years if you know where and how to look for it on a wide variety of plant materials. The full effects of that freeze from I think 5 years ago still isnt even realized. I do not, however, worry about this sort of thing as it is just a natural cycle. If I was a nurseryman though, I would go aheah and have my insurance man on speed dial LOL

I am betting we have a bad freeze around easter week or thereabouts.....ole man winter has been sleeping tooooooooo long and will rear his ugly head late this year me thinks and i feel a crop failure coming........if it doesnt happen it will be the weirdest on record for warming with no cold spell.
"watching"..... :grin:

Boone 58

Well , here we are near Easter and no cold in sight......could this be a repeat of 06 or 07 when the late freeze came and killed it all?.....still waiting because if we dont get it i will be shocked..........but who knows, stranger things have happened.

Latest posts