Howa 1500

Nlaw1627

Ive been looking at building a Howa 1500 for awhile now and wanted to know if anyone had and first hand experience they could share to steer me in a different direction or make me send it and start the build. Rifle will be for precision shooting i plan on dropping a 24" heavy barreled action chambered in 6.5 creed into a KRG Bravo. I reload already for a 6.5 Ruger american that shoots lights out, would i be wasting my time building a howa expecting it to shoot better or just as good?

MUP

I found this. I've heard that those Howa barreled actions are getting used pretty regular for semi custom builds lately.

Nlaw1627

I found this. I've heard that those Howa barreled actions are getting used pretty regular for semi custom builds lately.

Thanks for the article man very good read, I've seen quite a few builds online and read a lot and people seem like they like them, i just wanted someone with first hand experience to hopefully give me their opinion.

Billboy

I have 3 Howa rifles that are custom builds (25 WSM, 270 WSM and 7 WSM). The factory HACT trigger is decent, but I did upgrade a couple to Timneys. They have a side bolt release and reliable M16 type extractor. Plent of scope base options. Bell & Carlson make a couple of different stocks or you can find some at Stockey's Stocks. Boyds also makes them. Factory rifles generally shoot pretty good, but with a custom barrel they shoot great! Weatherby Vanguard is the same action so parts are interchangeable.

ADR

Recently got my vaguard action that started life as a 300 wby upgraded with a bartlein carbon wrapped barrel in .257 wby with 8 twist. It has a stockys vg2(?) stock. Pleased with the upgrade for no more than I have invested in it.
Hopefully the rail and scope go on today.

Nlaw1627

Thanks for the input y'all I've decided to give her a shot either way I'll still have a solid action to build onto if I'm not happy with the factory barrel, thanks!

Nlaw1627

Just curious, why Howa? Couldn't you buy a Blueprinted and trued barreled action for around the price you would have in an action and barrel?
Price of a howa barreled action is 429- tax, anywhere im seeing blueprinted actions the action and bolt alone is 600+

Nlaw1627

BDDBA2C7-4241-41BD-A061-1F7102EF1EC1.jpeg
3F7FA83F-3016-4917-AADC-D1ED05EFDD30.jpeg

Wanted to give an update, got the barreled action and chassis in and everything put together, and let me say I'm beyond happy with the action it's very smooth and the 2 stage factory hact trigger is great. Barrel break starts tomorrow with "cheap" ammo, then load development will be started and I'll give another update afterwards! So far though very pleased!

Latest posts