How old is too old?

Culom

I have a riverrun fiest that is 1.5 years old. I bought originally as a first attempt at training a squirrel dog, but then my work schedule changed and I have not been able to work with her. Well I now have the time and I am wondering if she is to old.

She is a little small, probably under 10 pounds, but she loves she can spot a cat or bird hundred yards down the road. She trees anything that comes in the fence and opens loud and clear.

Based on this limited info do you guys think she is trainable? If so how would I start with her not being a puppy?

huntinman77

The best squirrel dog I ever owned had never been ut of a pen until I bought him....He was 3 then.

Most dogs that make hunting dogs are naturals.

cruff10

I know alot of people that will not get serious about a dog until they are 2 years old. From the time they are born until they are 2 they do a lot of changing, during this time you need to train the basic commands and get to know the dog and let the dog get to know you....

so 1.5 is NOT OLD at all.

A good example,

I have a a dog that is now turning 2 in November. Last year I tried to hunt her and she just wanted to play, didn't care about a squirrel, NOW she has really started to turn it on. When my brother in law brought the squirrel he killed from saturday over, I thought she was going to tear the fence down getting to it!!!! So she has the mind for squirrel hunting, but sometimes it takes 2 years+

Latest posts