How often do you re-set

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Bear in mind I haven't caught a coyote yet.... :D

How often do you re-set your trap in the same spot after you catch something in it?

Or, do you move it just slightly or what?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Gotcha.

The set I caught my coon in yesterday I moved because there wasn't a good / easy spot to re-set it.
About 30 yards down the treeline there was a piece of plywood from an ancient deer stand that they tore down limbing around the field.
It has been there a while and I thought it looked like a good spot for a mouse or something to be living.
Put my hole where it went up under the plywood.

I am kinda excited about that set, it just looks good to me.
We will see though.

pass-thru

I always reset after a catch. There is no better attractant than a catch circle. If you move the trap to a new bed, you will need to use a clean trap. Reset the same bed, no need to switch as long as the trap is still in working order.

Extreme mud may require a new set.

Most Could Coyote locations I set up with 2-4, sometimes more traps, so no need to put in fresh sets in that case. Usually follow on catchs are in the same trap that already produced.

matt_brown

5b9a0d7a9114ae05120ce6d8023abfe5.jpg

New bed required lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pass-thru

RUGER":1tt3lu2c said:
pass-thru":1tt3lu2c said:
If you move the trap to a new bed, you will need to use a clean trap.

Why is this?

Because the smell of the animal you just caught will cause the trap to stand out in a fresh bed. The set where it was just caught the trap will blend because everything smells like the animal. Catching an animal in a trap is like smearing lure all over that trap. You want the lure in the whole, not the trap bed!

Latest posts