How do you keep your water hose from Freezing?

TrailWatcher

On the camper during the winter hunts? I have looked at heat tapes But they say not to use them on water hoses because they will burst the hose....The camper is setting at our deer camp year round so I can do whatever.We have RV hookups so it has to connect to a yard water Hydrant...

Andy S.

I too sleep in a RV during most of deer season and this does become a challenge during late NOV and DEC. We have our hose wrapped with Armacell pipe insulation and tape. I seriously doubt this helps very much, just a precautionary measure on our part. We let the water drip in the bathroom sink to keep the water flowing. That is about it other than we disconnect the water hose from the spigot when we leave for 2-3 days and the temps dip to 34 and below. Once disconnected, we "walk the hose" holding it up high over our head in an attempt to drain the majority of water in the hose so it will not freeze solid while we are away. Hope this helps, best of luck.

LadyMarlin

R.I.P.
We have ours wrapped with pipe insulation and taped. Where we have trouble is right at the connection to the camper. I have applies that expanding foam around there and it does seem to help.
Also blocking the north wind off the hose will help some. Some folks that have access to straw bales place those under the camper sides and ends for added insulation. If it is closed in under the camper, the use of a SMALL heat lamp will also help. Just keep it away from the straw.
If I could find some heat tape, I'd use it on the hose also.
Where did you see the heat tape?

Latest posts