Homemade deer attractant

Claims Rep.

Have any of you guys made up your own homebrew recipe for a deer attractant? I read online about a guy who mixed up some syrup, corn, sugar, etc. and "cooked" it in a skillet on the stove for a while, and after it hardened up he put it out with a camera on it. He told me it only lasted two days, so despite the fact that he only had about $4 in it, it just doesn't last long enough in the woods. Y'all got any thoughts on this?

Omega

Claims Rep.":3icv9c96 said:
Have any of you guys made up your own homebrew recipe for a deer attractant? I read online about a guy who mixed up some syrup, corn, sugar, etc. and "cooked" it in a skillet on the stove for a while, and after it hardened up he put it out with a camera on it. He told me it only lasted two days, so despite the fact that he only had about $4 in it, it just doesn't last long enough in the woods. Y'all got any thoughts on this?
No need to cook it, just mix the dry ingredients and pour it into an old stump or prepared depression Here is one I tried, it worked good but later I just bought cattle mineral blocks, optionally you can water it in, but works either way, and rain will water it in soon enough.

Mix Recipe Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs, for multiple sites.
• 1 part DiCalcium Phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores. Comes in 50lb Bags, need one bag.
• 2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications. Comes in 50lb Bags, you need two bags.
• 1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt. Comes in 50lb Bags, you need one bag.
• 1 box of Wash Mineraling Soda (sodium carbonate) per mix
Directions: -Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix. -Mix all together well but not until ready to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use. -Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep. -Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.
Method two: Put salt in a burlap sand bag and hang it from a tree branch
Maintenance: -Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

MickThompson

Just make sure it's not bait- the mix you posted first with corn in it would mean it's illegal to hunt there until 10 days after they ate every last grain of corn. That could easily get into deer season especially if the deer decide they don't like it.

I just put out salt and get plenty of summer pics.

Omega

MickThompson":1fwp10i2 said:
Just make sure it's not bait- the mix you posted first with corn in it would mean it's illegal to hunt there until 10 days after they ate every last grain of corn. That could easily get into deer season especially if the deer decide they don't like it.

I just put out salt and get plenty of summer pics.
That is why I left out the molasses, since I wanted to hunt over it. I'm sure the molasses would work too, but it is really not necessary. I use blocks now and put out food flavored ones in the off season, but about a month before season opens I change to all mineral blocks. But honestly I haven't noticed any difference, it's just a habit for me now, like wearing camo in my shoot house.

bigbonner

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Omega

bigbonner":26j8d223 said:
Omega":26j8d223 said:
bigbonner":26j8d223 said:
I was trying to find some Deers Tongue for cover and attractant
Might be a little late but you can grow your own.
https://www.amazon.com/Carphephorus-odo ... B00BJ93ODQ
I bought two packets of sends from Roundstone seeds last year.
It won't overwinter here . I have tried it . It would take two years to make anything. I am too far North.
How much do you need? Have you considered potting them and bringing them in and out according to weather conditions or buying a smallish grow room.
https://www.amazon.com/GreenHouser-Refl ... B07GSV7MGS

Or even a small greenhouse
https://www.amazon.com/Gardman-R687-4-T ... B000NCTGQE

When I was stationed in NC, some guys used to use it as cover scent, there was a source for it then but I would just use pine needles and acorns, not together, soaked in alcohol . But eventually started using racoon scent, it seemed better to mask my scent while in my lock-on. I'd put cotton balls in a 35mm film canister with a string through the container and the lid, that way I would not have to smell it all the way while driving home, the pine and acorns were ok, but that coon scent is darn strong.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts