Homebrew cameras

basset

Anyone here tried rigging a motion sensor to a regular digital camera? Have seen it done online but never have myself, digital pocket camera seems to give a lot better picture than a standard trail cam.

gtk

Staff member
used to do it all the time. only certain models were hackable when i did it. it got to where it was cheaper to buy one already made, and about the same quality.

gtk

Staff member
it has been years. used to be a active forum at hagshouse.com.

i liked the "snapshot sniper" control board . It had lcd readout

cameras were sony dsc p41 and some "samsung" a305 or something.

you'd have to disassemble the camera, solder a connector to certain pins on the cam, and then wire into your control board.

after a while, the digital trailcam folks dropped their prices low enough that it didnt' make it feasible to build your own anymore.

TheLBLman

Necessity was the Mother of Invention for "Homebrewing".
Years ago, the Snapshot Sniper control was the cat's meow, and was far superior to commercially available "trail cams" costing two to five times more each than setting up a homebrew. Plus, the image quality of the homebrews greatly exceeded the "store-bought" trail cams coming out in the early 2000's. My first homebrews were 35mm film cameras, then later the then new digital Sony p41's.
gtk":2vfz7gwj said:
i liked the "snapshot sniper" control board . It had lcd readout

after a while, the digital trailcam folks dropped their prices low enough that it didnt' make it feasible to build your own anymore.
Exactly, and today, generally speaking, you can just buy something comparable or better for less money, now including cellular trail cams.

One development that hurt "home-brewing" was when the true black flash trail cams came on to the scene. My homebrews all used full bright flash (color images at night) which had more tendency to "spook" deer.

There was a poster on here named "Fireman Jim" who was making homebrews and selling them.
I don't know if he still is, but he would be a great resource, since he was fairly recently still building them.

basset

That does sound like a lot of trouble, pulling cameras apart and soldering connections. Commercial trail cams don't seem to give that kind of resolution, though, no matter how many MP they claim... at least not at any reasonable price.

Latest posts